News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This project has taken so long that it's embarrassing. They might as well have built a subway then.

Agreed. The execution has been shockingly slow and sloppy too. If the TTC is trying to sell us on Transit City, it's doing a heckuva job.

At least you will get to ride the streetcar as far as Lansdowne starting early Feb 2009.

I guess the city will bit the bullet and repave/rebuild the exist road to deal with the current condition. Only the intersections were to be rebuilt under the plan last year.

2011 is a real date for it to be finish 100%

Agreed.. this will realistically take a long time. Any word on when they're supposed to dig up/repave the road itself...it's in worse shape than the tracks in most places.

f1568_it0248.jpg

How hard would have been for them to have just done the above? No need for a meandering roadway, fancy concrete, etc.

The original right-of-way had begun construction in 1911, between Caledonia and Yonge. It opened to streetcar traffic in 1913, except for the bridge over the Nordheimer Ravine, just east of Bathurst. In the below photo, you can see the streetcar right-of-way in the distance, taken before the bridge was built. The bridge opened to full streetcar service in 1918. That bridge and ravine was eventually filled in due to washouts (similar to the 2005 Finch Avenue washout)... ...and dug up again for the St. Clair West Subway station. Anyway, the original right-of-way took about 7 years to be built (and without the automobile traffic to fight with), and then only between Yonge and Caledonia. The streetcar line only was extended (no right-of-way) to Keele by 1932.
fo1244%5Cf1244_it1097.jpg

By then, the right-of-way was slowly being replaced by pavement starting in 1928, beginning between Bathurst and Dufferin. Between Dufferin and Landowne was paved over in 1929, and between Landowne and Caledonia in 1931. The last paving was between Bathurst and Yonge in 1935.
Now we are putting back the right-of-way on St. Clair that shouldn't have been removed in the first place.

St. Clair W Ramps

Thanks for the photos and videos drum.

Question: When the loop at St. Clair W was redone, did the tracks on the ramps get replaced? and the track switches?

Thanks for the photos and videos drum.

Question: When the loop at St. Clair W was redone, did the tracks on the ramps get replaced? and the track switches?

All the track and switches were replaced in St Clair West Station. The ramps still have to be done and no word when that will be. It will take a week to do the ramps.

The works was supposed to be done at the same time of the loop, but with all the problems it got delay.

As a note: I just video a bus ride on Mississauga Valley Blvd tonight as part of my Wednesday presentation before council on MT Next Bus Stop signs and the west bound is about the same as St Clair. The different riding an MT NFI and TTC Orion VII bus is night and day with NFI being the better bus. Some shakes, but not close to the Orion V ride. Was on a 300 and a 700 and very little difference.

I will be posting it to YouTube over the next few days after the other that are in cue are uploaded.

The video's show quite clearly these signs cannot be seen at night like I said they would when I first saw one of these signs last month.

St Clair ROW Photo's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zjz5jXQ2jw

Lansdowne Loop video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBcNdWKZQ3c

Ride 4096 along the Fleet ROW. Took 25 hours to upload to Youtube for
some reason and it was a test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gLKdOxMrCE

Fleet Loop and ROW Photo's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-uCdaeO9B8

The number of poles to hold up the power supply on Fleet is ridiculous. They must be spaced less than 1 metre apart! It's like there's some kind of Soviet bureaucratic mentality by whoever is behind the design that we must use centre poles no matter what or Stalin will send us to the gulag!

All the track and switches were replaced in St Clair West Station. The ramps still have to be done and no word when that will be. It will take a week to do the ramps.
That's too bad about the ramps. I guess that means another disruption with no streetcars at all on the entire route.

That's too bad about the ramps. I guess that means another disruption with no streetcars at all on the entire route.
Honestly, at this point I'd rather they just bustitute the whole damn service for the rest of construction. It has to be easier than constantly switching the route arrangements every few weeks. From what I hear, the buses are more reliable than the streetcars anyway.

The number of poles to hold up the power supply on Fleet is ridiculous. They must be spaced less than 1 metre apart! It's like there's some kind of Soviet bureaucratic mentality by whoever is behind the design that we must use centre poles no matter what or Stalin will send us to the gulag!

Pole spacing is determined by track curves. If the rails are perfectly straight there can be less poles. If the track is curving, even gradually, more poles are required to hold the wire as close to the centre line as possible.

Back