Yeah Vu and Berczy are very ugly and don't fit the neighbourhood aesthetic at all. They belong in the suburbs. This proposal, otoh, while taller, fits the old Victorian vernacular better with its quality proportions and details.

Yes, it IS a great area and most people living here really do want to see a new building on the Greyhound (and other vacant) sites BUT the new buildings ought to fit into the neighbourhood. Many new buildings in the area fit very well and improve the area (Vu and Berczy being good examples) other projects have not been as successful.

Gotcha. Interesting you see it that way. I think Berczy in particular fits the area, at least if we consider Church and Front to be the same area as, say, King and Sherbourne etc., because there's so many low-rise, almost stubby condos around there. This one I admit is quite different, but I think it might make a sharp statement in what's otherwise a somewhat 'stubby' condo area.

I look forward to seeing it. I might stand corrected when it's all done.

Yeah Vu and Berczy are very ugly and don't fit the neighbourhood aesthetic at all. They belong in the suburbs. This proposal, otoh, while taller, fits the old Victorian vernacular better with its quality proportions and details.

Wow.. whatever you're on I'll have some.

The City public consultation meeting last night was well attended (over 150 there I would guess) and the neighbourhood appears very opposed to the current plans. There appeared to be nobody (except of course Clewes and the Cityzen folk) in favour of it, at least among the speakers. They agreed that the building exceeded height and density rules and guidelines but kept saying it was their opinion that the proposal suited the neighbourhood - those who live here disagreed.

The next stage is a report from City Planning to the Toronto and East York Community Council on March 20 and a subsequent report to City Council in early April. As Cityzen has already appealed to the OMB this will be where it is decided whether the City will send staff to this hearing. Based on the strong neighbourhood opposition Councillor McConnell (who said she had seldom heard such unanimous opposition to a project) said she would be proposing this happening.

The St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association and the City planner both stated that they remain open to discussion with Cityzen but they have shown very little wish to cooperate to date and their appeal to the OMB was made based on the time the City had taken to respond to their initial application - though it was made within a month of the submission of the revised plan. Hardly a sign they are interested in an open-minded discussion.

Back