The spatial requirements of the various users - a farmer's market, an antique market, and others - have to be met. If, for instance, "Red" is selected, and doesn't conform to the needs of these stakeholders, it will have to be redesigned - and that's when things get interesting.

"Spatial requirements"? "Functionality"?

I don't want to rent movies and go for walks with this building. I want to do dirty things with it.

The winner is...

City of Toronto to announce winner of St. Lawrence Market North Building Design Competition

Join Mayor David Miller, Councillor Pam McConnell (Ward 28 Toronto Centre-Rosedale) and the local St. Lawrence community as they officially reveal the winning design in the St. Lawrence Market North Building Design Competition.

Date: Monday, June 7
Time: 10 a.m.
Location: St. Lawrence Market North Building, 92 Front St. E.

The search is over for the best architectural design for a new, vibrant North Building in the iconic St. Lawrence Market Complex. Having the benefit of input from over 1,000 members of the public, a jury of seven distinguished members has unanimously selected a winning submission from five short-listed designs.

In May, five short-listed architectural teams each unveiled a design to replace the existing one-storey North Market building with a new four-storey, multi-purpose facility that is more environmentally sustainable, more energy efficient and more sensitive to the heritage fabric and history of the surrounding neighbourhood.

Over the past 200 years, the historic St. Lawrence Market Complex, made up of St. Lawrence Hall, the South Market and North Market buildings, has served as Toronto’s social centre, city hall and premier marketplace.

Is the even open to all or does it require pre-registration?
BTW, love your paintings of St. Lawrence Market (south)!

Is the even open to all or does it require pre-registration?
BTW, love your paintings of St. Lawrence Market (south)!

The original call for designs was also held at the North Market with Pam McConell and David Miller, and it was open to the public. This notice was sent out to anyone who signed up for related City of Toronto e-updates, so I assume it is also a public event.

And glad you like the painting... thanks!

does the unanimity of the panel's decision (noted in the announcement) suggest to anyone that a particular design won?

Drum roll please........Get ready for disappointment people. And, end drum roll....

ding..oh popcorn is done -

p5

Last edited:
Red has garnered nearly half of all of the UrbanToronto votes in our poll... so if it's red, yes, just over half of you should prepare for disappointment. Any other win will cause more disappointment here.

Red has garnered nearly half of all of the UrbanToronto votes in our poll... so if it's red, yes, just over half of you should prepare for disappointment. Any other win will cause more disappointment here.

The Market Vendors and the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Assn and the local BIA also apparently voted for Red. Red Rules!

DSC:

The Market Vendors and the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Assn and the local BIA also apparently voted for Red. Red Rules!

I am a bit surprised that the Market Vendors actually voted for Red, considering what US said about it having the least amount of space for the vendors among the proposals.

Not that I'd mind any vote of confidence for the red scheme :eek:

AoD

That's a good point. I wonder if the space will be used differently so that it would work even with less square footage. Or I also wonder if there is an expectation that there will be less vendors. While being built, the temporary location will be between the South Market and Market Wharf and that is significantly less space plus next to a construction site. Not sure what's going to happen and perhaps some vendors will drop out?

That's a good point. I wonder if the space will be used differently so that it would work even with less square footage. Or I also wonder if there is an expectation that there will be less vendors. While being built, the temporary location will be between the South Market and Market Wharf and that is significantly less space plus next to a construction site. Not sure what's going to happen and perhaps some vendors will drop out?

The OCA alumna who runs the Sunday Antique Market and is a stakeholder in this process certainly doesn't want to have less vendors renting tables from her in a smaller space since it'll affect her livelihood. And part of the fun of going to the Sunday Antique and Saturday Farmers Markets is having plenty of choice and variety, so I don't see how a smaller space would be better for the public either.

Part of the fun of these open competitions is seeing how the winning proposal adapts to such realities when actually built.

Naturally, she wouldn't want less vendors. But the question is can the same number of vendors utilize less space? They'll have to for two years while the new building is being built.

Come to think of it, will there be that much useable space lost? While there is more outdoor space as opposed to a wall right up to the sidewalk as it is now, the vendor tables inside are quite a few yards north of Front Street. Hopefully, there is no loss to anyone and more to gain from this new building.

Do we know for a fact that the temporary space is smaller? Maybe it is bigger. The veggies and antiques won't shrink, whatever size they build the new North Market.

Part of the fun of these open competitions is seeing how the winning proposal adapts to such realities when actually built.

At my high school, they called them "portables".

16kred24x32steelsidingsteelroof-300x225.jpg

Back