City of Toronto news release:

http://www.toronto.ca/stlawrence_market/design/pdf/june7newsrelease.pdf

o Adamson Associates Architects and Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners (Red Team)
o Cohos Evamy + Hotson Bakker Boniface Haden Architects (Blue Team)
o Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects (Orange Team)
o NORR Limited, Architects Engineers Planners (Green Team)
o Taylor Hazell Architects and Montgomery Sisam Architects (Yellow Team)
____

Surprised that orange is KPMB - it is so NOT them to use curves!

AoD

I'm kind of shocked that Orange was KPMB. I don't think I've ever seen them make such a bold statement.

I had a great fondness for Orange, but Red was one of the better options and I remain supremely grateful that the suburban rec complex of Green was not chosen. Regardless, I'm sure lots will change between now and 2014 but the end result should be vastly superior to what is there now.

Red definitely wasn`t my favourite, but it has a lot of positives. My only worry is that it won`t age well.

I too liked Orange and its good to see KPMB designing outside the "box". It demonstrates that they are growing with their designs.

And congrats to Rogers for the win (I can certainly live with this replacement of what is there now). I hope that Red's ultimate execution lives up to its renders.

And just so that nobody has to go far to remind themselves of the competition entries...

First place in the UrbanToronto poll:
RED:Adamson Associates Architects and Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners

StLawNMktred3750.jpg

Second place in the UrbanToronto poll:
ORANGE:Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects

StLawNMktorange1750.jpg

Third place in the UrbanToronto poll:
GREEN:NORR Limited, Architects Engineers Planners

StLawNMktgreen5750.jpg

Fourth place in the UrbanToronto poll:
BLUE:Cohos Evamy + Hotson Bakker Boniface Haden Architects

StLawNMktblue1750.jpg

Fifth place in the UrbanToronto poll:
YELLOW:Taylor Hazell Architects and Montgomery Sisam

StLawNMktyellow1750.jpg

And now, more detailed plans of the winning entry:

StLawMktNREDTeam1.jpg

StLawMktNREDTeam2.jpg

StLawMktNREDTeam4.jpg

StLawMktNREDTeam5.jpg

StLawMktNREDTeam7.jpg

StLawMktNREDTeam8.jpg

StLawMktNREDTeam9.jpg

Last edited:
I had a feeling it would be Red when I head the jury decision was unanimous and Russell Smith was on it. Russell Smith wouldn't be caught dead wearing any of the other designs. She's got expensive taste.

I liked Green the best. It is reminiscent of the original Barn Shed design of the very old north building. The one they chose belongs on Queens Quay with some fabric, fake, sailboat sails on the roof, to make it look even more nautical.

At this point what you see isnt necessarily what you get. These designs were judged at a schematic design level, which means of course when we go through detail design you are bound to see changes, possibly significant. Outside of program compliance and design integrity (and a bunch of other stuff) there is also that small matter of budget. I guarantee that after a detailed budget review you will see some changes. A fin drops off here, a courtroom goes missing there, glass turns into residential grade aluminum siding a la ROM... I'm not trying to be debbie downer here mind you, I absolutely love the chosen design and with such a significant building I sure hope the city will deliver.

I was surprised at how sparse the crowd was for the announcement, though of course UT was well represented with interchange. Pam McConnell blathered on endlessly. Bruce Kuwabara and Marianne McKenna were both there. I understand that Richard Paul is the architect most involved with the design. What impressed me most, from the informal discussion that took place around the model, was how much natural northern light they're letting into the court rooms - not too much, obviously, because although justice is blind it need not be blinded.

Back