Dunno if it’s just a Toronto thing, but there always seems to be a let down when a new building finally opens and ground level is… meh. We seem to do this thing where it’s like - “let’s put a useful thing on top (residents, offices, courts), then have a giant lobby and…”

I can’t wait to see the market in here, but it is a little bothersome that unless you’re fighting a traffic ticket there won’t be much to come there for during the rest of the week. Maybe some part of the cultural office can program the public space?

Dunno if it’s just a Toronto thing, but there always seems to be a let down when a new building finally opens and ground level is… meh. We seem to do this thing where it’s like - “let’s put a useful thing on top (residents, offices, courts), then have a giant lobby and…”

I can’t wait to see the market in here, but it is a little bothersome that unless you’re fighting a traffic ticket there won’t be much to come there for during the rest of the week. Maybe some part of the cultural office can program the public space?
As noted above, there will be a coffee shop (open daily) on main level and, if the City can find a tenant, a restaurant on 1st floor. The space can also be rented during the week for events/meetings - though they had little success renting the old North Market. Of course, it needs to actually open first!!

...slow to open because they think it will underused/underutilized in the end?

I would say incompetent project management myself. This latest is just an example: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2024/gg/bgrd/backgroundfile-246658.pdf (Redevelopment of St. Lawrence Market North –Emergency Non-Competitive Contract and Purchase Order Amendment for Contract Administration Services )
I get that. I am just saying since there is no real incentive here to get it opened expediently, project decisions where left to idle hands and sleep walking. And to put that mildly.

I think the opening of the Waterworks Food Hall has bucked that trend.

IMG_7662.jpg

Wonderful! The sidewalk no one has ever been allowed to walk on is being torn up.

Wonderful! The sidewalk no one has ever been allowed to walk on is being torn up.
Sometimes it's an issue with the sidewalk that can only be addressed by a redo. Unless Toronto Hydro is involved...I suspect this maybe the case here. And for what that's worth.

I wish the media would put more pressure on the city with these late projects. There should be stories every few weeks about continued delays. pressure these people to do their damn jobs

Back