What did they do??! It's so.... blah and bland looking. Obviously it's a crappy render, but still. Why have a design competition and then destroy it?

The new rendering in the DRP report (thanks for posting) is simply too small, too preliminary and offers only a single perspective to come to any significant conclusion by itself - other than the regrettable deletion of the original elevator/staircase from the SE corner. They really should re-implement that playful element. I am happy to take a wait and see approach to the rest.

AoD

stlawrencenorth.jpg

My first reaction was "what is this bullshit", but this does actually relate to the south market building better. The barrel roofline, the regular rhythm of vertical supports. But compared to the competition entry it's boring as hell.

Edit: I agree with AoD, it's a small preliminary drawing, and there's no need to panic. (Yet.) I hope to be convinced when I see more detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pharmacy building is pretty great regardless of how it was first envisioned.
My partner works in the Pharmacy building - it may look great but is not terribly functional. From what I hear of the new North Market (and from what DRP said) there is a risk we will see the same thing in the new Market. Mixing courts (which like to be quiet) with markets (which don't)
will only work if they are well insulated from each other.

Actually the North Market is really only open on weekends. Rarely during the week and then only in the evening. They should mix well.

I saw this while in Paris last week and thought it was useful to post as it conveys how our new facility may look when completed.

IMG_6050_2_1-XL.jpg

IMG_6055_2_1-L.jpg

IMG_6057_2_1-L.jpg

IMG_6053_2_1-L.jpg

Back