I can't help but feel disappointed by the most recent proposal. The revised structure as a whole is fine. But it is missing the "woah" status that its predecessor had. For such a historically significant pocket of Toronto I think we deserve something more substantive than a pair of D+S inspired glass and brick barns.

The current redesign is nice enough, but in my view it's bland and anodyne when something unique and eye-catching is what's required.

This design won because it delivered a landmark building to, as you term it, "a historically significant pocket of Toronto". And most of the elements that really made it special are now gone.

Well pony up. Build a city worth living in. Build a city worth travelling to repeatedly. Build a city with special buildings worth being proud of. Build a North Market that's truer to the original design.

Yeah, my only sore point is the lost of the curved glass staircase/elevator shaft and the public space at the foot. Too bad there are no interior renderings - the top floor courtrooms look like they might be rather spectacular spaces. AoD

Here you go!

Market atrium.jpg

Attachments

• Market atrium.jpg
    Market atrium.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 621
I am unclear on what a farmers' market interior 'ought' to look like and am not 100% sold on this concept of it but I do like the natural light aspect. The building is, of course, not ONLY a Market so some compromises are necessary. Have they made too many? I really don't know.

I would like to see more wood inside. Wood beams would make it feel more inviting.

I too seem more disappointed by the exterior modifications than the interior. I recall looking at the winning plan right after the announcement and thinking how busy and messy a farmers market is and how quickly the interior will deteriorate with all the dirt and crates and movement of goods back and forth. This will be a living and breathing city building and will take a pounding much like any public facility. This still does not excuse the heavy Cheapening™ of the exterior.

Last edited:
Thanks DSC - the interior hasn't been changed that much relative to the original.

kristopher:

You do realize that the architect in question is pretty well known for exposed structural elements right?

AoD

The interior seems very similar. The exposed concrete bases were in the original as well.

My biggest worry are those two exhaust pipes right at the corner of Front and Jarvis. In fact that whole corner of the building looks like it could be a disaster at such a busy, prominent location.

S&M:

In fact the interior is improved - you can see far more of the original St. Lawrence Hall than originally proposed (that said, the original interior rendering have some issues with accuracy w the perspective.

I don't think two intake/exhaust pipes will ruin the area when a far less sympathetic structure that is the current North Market failed to do that. Done well, it could even serve as a focal point.

AoD

Last edited:
S&M:

In fact the interior is improved - you can see far more of the original St. Lawrence Hall than originally proposed (that said, the original intereior rendering have some issues with accuracy w the perspective.

I don't think two intake/exhaust pipes will ruin the area when a far less sympathetic structure that is the current North Market failed to do that. Done well, it could even serve as a focal point.

AoD

I'm definitely satisfied with the interior - old or new render.

I still think the exhaust pipes are dangerous. Right now the corner is neutral. It does nothing to improve the intersection, but also doesn't really hurt it. However, I'm worried about what the noise pollution will be from the pipes. My sense is that anytime architects try to turn exhaust pipes into an "architectural feature" (at least at street level), it ends up being a complete failure. People don't want to look at or be near exhaust pipes. They are loud and ugly. Although I'm open to seeing examples of this done well.

Back