I was hoping for this to just die. The worst isn't the significantly changed design (though why have a design competition?), it's the details. Notice the interior change from glass balconies to cheap bar railings, the removal of finished ceilings to exposed corrugated ceilings. This is looking like Metropolis all over again. Shame.

We always seem to get set up for disappointment. I don't know why they get our expectations up, only to deliver a compromised design. City Hall needs to get its act together and deliver what they promise, not a watered down version.

I think what is scarier is that even the compromised design is too much gravy for El Fordo.

mjl08:

El Fordo didn't say much about this project yesterday for the record. As proposed right now, the project is far from Metropolis - the architect basically drawn the line in the sand that no further value engineering and descoping will be considered. This is a firm with a reputation to maintain and I highly doubt that they would sign off on a project that would harm their reputation.

The thing that will scare me isn't that - but the bids that they get when it's opened to tender.

AoD

Last edited:
I was hoping for this to just die. The worst isn't the significantly changed design (though why have a design competition?), it's the details. Notice the interior change from glass balconies to cheap bar railings, the removal of finished ceilings to exposed corrugated ceilings. This is looking like Metropolis all over again. Shame.

You're certainly assuming much detail from a very illustrative render - have you seen any drawings? What's more, metal balcony railings cost more than glass ones. Exposed ceilings also cost more than 'finished' ones (unless you're finishing them in rhodium or teak or something).

You're certainly assuming much detail from a very illustrative render - have you seen any drawings? What's more, metal balcony railings cost more than glass ones. Exposed ceilings also cost more than 'finished' ones (unless you're finishing them in rhodium or teak or something).

The artist's rendering certainly didn't intend to embellish the render by putting in corrugated exposed ceilings. It was very intentional to demonstrate that costs were saved by eliminating the ceiling finishes. Metal railings could look really good but here again, the artist removed a more pleasing glass balcony and put in stock metal railings. A render artist doesn't try to make things look worse than the original unless that's the consequence of budget decisions that will be reflected in the real thing.

This building will be fine I'm sure. But this particular project deserved way beyond "just fine". The original intention reflected that: they had a worldwide design competition. But then the spirit of the competition was ignored and they're just building whatever looks good on a budget report instead.

The artist's rendering certainly didn't intend to embellish the render by putting in corrugated exposed ceilings. It was very intentional to demonstrate that costs were saved by eliminating the ceiling finishes. Metal railings could look really good but here again, the artist removed a more pleasing glass balcony and put in stock metal railings. A render artist doesn't try to make things look worse than the original unless that's the consequence of budget decisions that will be reflected in the real thing.

This building will be fine I'm sure. But this particular project deserved way beyond "just fine". The original intention reflected that: they had a worldwide design competition. But then the spirit of the competition was ignored and they're just building whatever looks good on a budget report instead.

IMO metal railings are just as good as glass ones. It's not necessarily about using the best materials, it all about making the best use of the materials. There are some very nice projects out there done on a budget that aren't overembellished.

My main concern is that the loss of the setback on the south-east corner, which will make the sidewalk cramped, especially with the blank wall. I feel the original plan had it right with the setback and the featurecase stairwell. The interior needs some vertical ties as the disappearance of the original ones has led to a loss in the feeling of verticality.

From the Quarterly Variances Report being discussed by Executive Committee on 24 September

The St. Lawrence Market North (SLMN) project's capital expenditures totalled $0.024 million or 0.4% of the 2013 approved cash flow of $6.553 million. In the first six months of 2013, the project continued to be on hold as staff spent a significant amount of time trying to align the design cost estimate of $91.458 million with the approved total project cost of $76.165 million. At its meeting of July 16-19, 2013, Council adopted a revised financing plan to provide additional funding of $15.293 million and directed staff to authorize the continuation of design work to complete the Design Development and Bid Document stages of the project. The projected year-end spending of only $1.603 million or 24.5% of the 2013 approved cash flow reflects this adoption and adjustment of timelines with completion of the project deferred to 2016.

Completion in 2016 or starting in 2016 ???

To complete in 2016 I take it they likely need to start soon ? (assuming it takes 2 years).

Unfortunate - someone should actually tally up the costs of the endless delays and see just how much it added to well, the cost of the project.

AoD

The City has finally put in a Site Plan application for the new North Market - rather strangely using the address of the SOUTH Market! See: http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3482620

Gee, it almost seems like whoever entered this application into the system doesn't realize there are two market buildings. Which would put them in the same company as many Torontonians, actually. The city really needs to be more explicit about this when talking about these plans, because in casual conversation I've met a few people who have expressed horror at the thought of the St. Lawrence Market being torn down, not realizing that the North Market is a separate bunker across the road and the South Market will remain unchanged.

Ah finally, progress ! Very much looking forward to this!

Some progress.

Dear owner/resident,
The St, Lawrence Market North Redevelopment Project will be conducting core testing for the implementation of a geothermal system to supplement the heating and cooling requirements for the new structure to be built. Equipment will be delivered tomorrow and testing should take place on Thursday February 27, 2013 ending next week. The testing will be towards the north end of the existing structure.
Other than some noise during the day, you should experience no interruptions
Should you have any questions please feel free to contact myself.

Back