Who said anything about designing by committee? The DRP provides feedback; that's all. They don't design the building.

And most art is created through collaboration. It's only the mythology of the "singular genius" that was invented in the Romantic period that conjured up the idea that art is harmed by two or more people collaborating.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 277539 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Nov 12, 2012

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal

Description: Proposal for revitilization of St. Lawrence Market North. Demolition of the existing north market building with new five storey market/POA Court Facility and 4 levels of parking.

Has it been stated where they're going to move market day on Saturday when the building is demolished? That's one of the best places in the city to get fresh Ontario produce, and I'd hate to miss out on it for a couple years.

Design Review Panel feedback: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/2012/agendas/pdf/drp_minutes_1nov13.pdf

stlawrencenorth.jpg

I agree with the panel, "Bring back playfulness and cadence of competition design", please!

The contract for the temporary North Market (on the parking lot at The Esplanade/Market/Wilton/Jarvis) was awared a couple of weeks ago. Deadline for completion is June 30, 2013 so things do seem to be moving ahead.

The DRP's concerns and recommendations are spot on, excluding the dissenter that prefers a "neutral" palette.

Last edited:
From looking at the city budget, nothing will really start till 2014 correct ? With a finish date of 2017 ?

We definitely need the more playful design. This building shouldn't be another starchitect project that gets neutered into something that looks like what our local firms could have designed like the CBC Building or the Faculty of Pharmacy building at University and College.

The Pharmacy building is pretty great regardless of how it was first envisioned.

Yikes, what happened here? With the panel asking for terracotta, I guess the steel frame and brise soleils are gone? And the setback from Front St.?

On the upside, with a double barrel vault roof, this place will make a great McDonald's some day.

urbantoronto-4162-12832.jpg

Back