As in build on top of the club or obtain an air rights transfer. I doubt the club would agree to the former, especially since I seem to recall them opposing the Trump application when it was first proposed. The latter isn't really necessary in Toronto since the Trump project already got permission to vastly exceed existing zoning without any air rights transfer.

But this project has been its own worst enemy. They have never been upfront about percentage of sales and other disclosures that almost all other projects have been open about. Deadlines have come and gone (they said construction would start at the end of last year. Now they say it may start at the beginning of next). Unforuntately, the history of projects on this site mean that they have to be upfront and exceptionally straightforward about everything. Talking in code and not disclosing has meant that one has been free to draw one's own conclusions.

I also think the decision to make the sales office 'appointment only' in a city like Toronto might not have been the best idea.

All the high end projects are appointment only. Ritz, One Bedford and One St Thomas for example. Makes sense to do it here as well.

unimag, I mean actually build on top. Last time I was in there (a few years ago), the place had seen better days. It seemed to me that they would need the cash, especially since their doors are not exactly being knocked down by potential new members. Why would it bother them if something was built on top? My guess is that Trump represented its last lifeline.

That may be, but I know that the National Club opposed the Trump building.

I doubt it. They own that building - that's a pretty hefty lifeboat at today's prices. And who knows who their members are, and really, who cares, so long as they keep paying?

Of course they opposed it. They're not getting a red penny. But, they'd stand to make serious coin if they allowed Trump to build on top.

Which probably would have mean destroying the building to put columns up through...

Oh, I realize that they own the building but that doesn't help with cash flow. Hosting weddings and banquets wouldn't bring in much. From what I hear, their membership is pretty low.

Which probably would have mean destroying the building to put columns up through...

I don't know, is that true? (any engineers here?) Anyways, I guess they could have done a facadectomy. Is the building on the historical list?

Yep. It's pretty inside. It looks as a gentlemens club should. Much nicer than the Albany Club.

It looks as a gentlemens club should.

And I thought "gentlemen's club" was code or "titty bar."

On second thought, I guess there could be worse marketing campaigns.

"Gentleman's club" is not the code any more. However, I have recently taken an interst in the ballet.

The gold painted wrought iron "NC" on the railings outside the club always gives me a little thrill whenever I walk past.

Back