You know, from that angle, a lot of those Entertainment District projects would just be visual noise in that shot.

Speaking of the Entertainment District... When all the condos get built and all the gentrified, snooty folk move in and they lobby City Hall to shut down all the clubs... Will it still be the Entertainment District?

Perhaps the "Snoozy, Show-off, Middle-Class Thinkin' They're All that and a Bag of Chips District" would be more apropos.

I think the "entertainment" in the Entertainment District was intended to apply to the threatres and halls in the area, not the clubs.

True enough. But the name entertainment district didnt come into wide use until after the clubs had set up shop en mass in the area in the late 80s and early 90s.

A January update from TRUMPTO's youtube channel. it's not the most fresh, but cool nonetheless.

*and it's funny. at 00:45 and 1:48, they reverse the image. it's weird.

And that guy also calls it an "onion dome". or is that an official term? i only thought the folks here called it that. :p

[video=youtube;_NONw-nqSIg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NONw-nqSIg&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh+div-1r-9-HM[/video]

And that guy also calls it an "onion dome". or is that an official term? i only thought the folks here called it that. :p

That is the proper name (in English) for that kind of architectural detail. The ones in Russia are the most famous but they are found on buildings all over the world.

24711.jpg

(Found here: http://schools-wikipedia.org/wp/o/Onion_dome.htm )

Technically to be considered a true Onion Dome, the dome`s circumference should be wider than the base it sits on and be a complete dome. However, because on Trump it is only a quarter section and fairly small... I like to think of Trump's as a Clove of Garlic Dome.

:p

Last edited:
nice photo as always android. that shot really emphasizes how dramatic-looking the setback is ground ground level on the north side. though the higher it gets, the trick will be given away.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice pics, drum! ....the last one really shows how tall it's getting......

The really weird thing is how the random spandrel on the inset part of the east elevation is a floor lower than the random spandrel on the rest of the east elevation.

It seems as if the cladding for the Skylobby/floor transition was an after-thought and nobody really figured out how it would work. It's a shame that crane didn't shatter a more offensive looking window.

Back