Vistas, Shadowing, Height limitiations... its all a manufactured shit load of bureaucracy.:rolleyes:

Really?? Is that what you honestly believe in?? clearly you need a better appreciation for various consideration factors in judging developments proposals other than "the higher the better" mentality :confused:

Really?? Is that what you honestly believe in?? clearly you need a better appreciation for various consideration factors in judging developments proposals other than "the higher the better" mentality :confused:

i used to think that way last year when i first joined but as the time went by i began to realize that it is important... yes i find tall building extravagent, exhilarating etc but..... you are right ... some of the restrictions seem far fetched though... this is a city right?

Don't go by the floor plans. They don't count L13.

The level just above the RCS, with the setbacks on North and West is Level 54. The top of the building is L56.

Last edited:
OH! Now I get it... I was reading the plans as if that first upper setback was the terrace on the 57th floor but I see my mistake. There is yet another setback to come, which will be the North terrace of the Skyplex.

So Wopchop, does someone get open terraces on floor 54? I don't think I saw that in the plans.

Edit: Never mind... I found the answer. The North Suite #1 on Floor 55 (Level 54) has a large terrace.

urbantoronto-680-4045.jpg

(From Trum Database page here: http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/trump-international-hotel-tower-toronto )

Last edited:
I am still confused...

There have been 2 full floors poured past the setback, and those 2 floors are the penthouses (well, mostly 1 penthouse). So in theory, all we should be seeing next, is pouring the Skyplex (which is very small), THEN after that, we should be seeing a mechanical box on top with the TRUMP logo.

EDIT: why i say this, is because there are 2 setbacks already in place on the north/west sides, which are the terraces indicating the start of the first penthouse floor.

so although this says 58, it's technically 57, which adds up to Trump being 57 stories, plus 1 mechanical, which is 58, and you'd be standing on the 59th floor if you're on top of the mechanical box.

RMn3g.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not certain who has access to what terrace. More than likely the west terrace is for one of the units and the north terrace is for the other.

Once the slab for 56 is complete (the current top of building), you'll start to see the next set of terraces (which wraps the building, minus the area for the dome). Those blank areas on the west and north of that "Suite 01" floor plan would be those terraces. The area that has stepped back will then rise two floors (this is the part of the building with the TRUMP logo), and includes the mechanical. Some of the mechanical rooms are actually on the same level as the penthouse suite.

Sweet shot showing a naked Trump! ^^^ (no sexual innuendo intended)
I wonder if they are going to re-instal it higher up with a custom fit with the setbacks, or will they remove it entirely considering it's basically nearing top off and the weather is nicer (also, it will interfere with the Onion dome)

this is very weird seeing the entire structure exposed without the black weatherwall!

So, is this wrap around floor this level?
I believe that is actually L57. It shows a master bedroom, and it was my understanding that "Suite 01" starts on L56 and you would have to go up a floor (reached by that private spire elevator) to get to the bedroom.

Sweet shot showing a naked Trump! ^^^ (no sexual innuendo intended)
I wonder if they are going to re-instal it higher up with a custom fit with the setbacks, or will they remove it entirely considering it's basically nearing top off and the weather is nicer (also, it will interfere with the Onion dome)
Removed entirely, except for around the NW corner. The setbacks on the North and South mean that they don't need the protection there any longer.

It's also a major PITA and is interfering with curtain wall installation.

Sorry Wopchop, but the rising Trump signage part, (I forget the term), is that for protection from the elements as well as personal safety? Or what is the exact reason for those and why are they only used on some projects and not on others?

Thanks!!

At Trump, they are using RCS (Rail Climbing System) for Protection.

It is similar to this;
rcs_p02_lg.jpg

The system protects workers from falls, and from the elements. It also protects people on the ground from falling objects. On a building with a typical column + bay structure, it is most likely that the RCS is being used for protection, as there are different forms for pouring the columns (you can clearly see these in some of the latest pictures of Trump). This is not always the case, though, as RCS is also often used to form exterior shearwalls. The CN Tower was formed utilizing a RCS-system. There is a variation of the system to suit pretty much any building condition.

Identifying the difference can be difficult from afar, but it's a safe bet that the RCS at the top of most towers is primarily for protection.

Here is a basic example of climbing wall formwork;
rcs_c02_lg.jpg

The system is expensive to operate. If you're not utilizing the hydraulic-ascending RCS (which requires specialized workers) then you are forced to dedicate the crane to it's removal and replacement. This can be costly, and sometimes those cons outweigh the pros. In the case of Trump, the business of Bay & Adelaide and the possibility of lawsuit, likely made it worth the investment.

Last edited:
Interesting....
This sketch is a floor off then, i was thinking that was left was the master bedroom floor,

Original photo by Red Mars:
5858468858_7b1e811d7e_z.jpg

Apparently the city has problems with the use of the RCS due to the "advertising message". Equate them with illegal billboards.

.... interesting.... and they have a point. Apart from their logical/functional reason for being there, the adverts/phone numbers/logos printed on them are unnecessary, they're cool/informative to the general audience, informing the world that "THIS is trump toronto", but a whole bunch of them on the skyline can make it look ugly. Shangri-la's weather wall i'm not the biggest fan of, just because of the pink, it's too bright, and will stand out way too much when it's up 60 stories,
Trump's weather wall is classy.... though incredibly stupid when it reads PUMRU. that alone took FAIL to a whole new level.... but then again.... the East wall....

Back