A reminder that developments in architecture and design often follow on the heals of developments in technology and/or materials. Moreso than with the CN Tower where the LED lighting was an after-thought addition Trump incorporates the lighting in its very design, and to a greater degree than many others we've seen.

Except for the fact that the CN Tower was lit up for years after its construction; the LEDs are a modern update of the original scheme. Despite some comments that it's "tacky", I think they did a great job with the new lighting.

Unlike the CN tower's design which has lighting viewable from every direction, Trump's lighting will only be seen from the direct north (I'm just a touch off north to the east and I'm missing most of it) around to the south-west. The spire will peak out here & there but that's it. I'm watching it now as it does some "scrolling" effects, presumably while they test and nail down all of the light addresses.

June 16/17
There is about 100 new photos up on site with a number of night shots. The D7000 came out of the shop on 14 and kill the night shooting on the weekend, especially the ones from Fort York. Based on those kill shots, Nikon replaced the 9 month old camera on Tuesday.

My last shooting of the tower until I return from Europe in Sept.
7405169796_4652e6e365_b.jpg

7405176444_fb286b1fc3_b.jpg

7404946474_ee5f2971d1_b.jpg

7404942928_26c43c634c_b.jpg

7402664864_bac0b06719_b.jpg

7402589232_1b71a9797b_b.jpg

7402510600_f656f3746b_b.jpg

Excellent shots drum!!! that last one certainly deserves photo of the day. Stunning work thank you for the updates :D

hey drum, have a great trip!!

The lighting was animated tonight, but there still appears to be a number of evident malfunctions. It's very easy to see from Bloor.

Except for the fact that the CN Tower was lit up for years after its construction; the LEDs are a modern update of the original scheme. Despite some comments that it's "tacky", I think they did a great job with the new lighting.

I didn't remember that.

Still, though the lights were there to illuminate the tower at night the lights at Trump are a pretty specific design element (albeit one that can only be appreciated at night).

Check out the video on the previous page, that will give you an idea. The CN tower was exactly the same for the first week or two of testing.

drum's last pic: spectacular.

NOW this tower looks like Toronto's 2nd tallest! also world's tallest measuring stick: yep. that lightsaber is 280m

Check out the video on the previous page,

I saw it, I don't see any malfunctioning lights though.

These are RGB LEDs. by blending various intensities of red Green and Blue light, we can create the illusion of many other colours....this is how colour television works.
The controllers are addressable....and can have up to 512 addresses in one DMX universe. This control method was developed in the mid 80's and hasn't changed much since then.

Back