There was a chase mode in the sequence which indicated that some sections of the strip were not functioning. A few lights appeared to be stuck in a specific colour and would not change. There were what appeared to be a few inconsistencies with the brightness of some of the lights as well. As dt_toronto_geek noted, these are likely to be resolved in the next little while.

There was a chase mode in the sequence which indicated that some sections of the strip were not functioning.

..or weren't part of the chase sequence.

A few lights appeared to be stuck in a specific colour and would not change.

...or the operator didn't send any commands to change them.

There were what appeared to be a few inconsistencies with the brightness of some of the lights as well.

..didn't appear that way to me.

As dt_toronto_geek noted, these are likely to be resolved in the next little while.

I guess he has inside information ;)

I sat and watched these exact same tests from my balcony 5 summers ago when they installed LED fixtures on the CN tower, I'm seeing the same types of tests and problems. I have no inside information, I've seen it all before.

..or weren't part of the chase sequence.

...or the operator didn't send any commands to change them.

..didn't appear that way to me.

I guess he has inside information ;)

Great, you seem to have an answer very everything. I'll conclude by calling the light show "amateurish" then. If you should have anything to do with it, sucks to be you.

I sat and watched these exact same tests from my balcony 5 summers ago when they installed LED fixtures on the CN tower, I'm seeing the same types of tests and problems. I have no inside information, I've seen it all before.

Nothing but testing going on this past week. A few things to work out, a few things to finish and in the near future, a full show. From what I've heard, the testing went very well, with a just few things to fix.

RGB systems of this sort use a combination of individual fixture addressing with control software to implement the animations. Doug is being a little obtuse about it, but the fact that the animations don't seem to work perfectly could mean a number of things.

The fixtures could be malfunctioning, could be wired wrong, or simply be addressed improperly. Conversely, the software may have an incomplete fixture map and/or be sending the wrong/no data to the fixtures that don't seem to be working.

It does take a little while to get everything working 100%, kind of like setting up a computer network with hundreds of computers on it.

A few things to work out, a few things to finish ... just few things to fix.

The fixtures could be malfunctioning, could be wired wrong, or simply be addressed improperly. Conversely, the software may have an incomplete fixture map and/or be sending the wrong/no data to the fixtures that don't seem to be working.

Doug is being a little obtuse about it ...

Yes, that about sums the situation up quite well.

It does take a little while to get everything working 100%, kind of like setting up a computer network with hundreds of computers on it.

The MMVA's used 100 times the number of RGB lights that Trump has, yet the managed to get everything addressed and working in much less time.

It's interesting how many lighting experts post here ;)

Oh it's not just experts in lighting. The great thing about Urban Toronto is you can find experts in just about any topic under the sun from architecture to brain surgery. The best thing is all these experts give you this wonderful knowledge for free. The generosity and wisdom on this site is just mind blowing!

The MMVA's used 100 times the number of RGB lights that Trump has, yet the managed to get everything addressed and working in much less time.

It goes to show what a hard deadline can do, and a far more critical customer base - teenage girls.

Oh it's not just experts in lighting. The great thing about Urban Toronto is you can find experts in just about any topic under the sun from architecture to brain surgery. The best thing is all these experts give you this wonderful knowledge for free. The generosity and wisdom on this site is just mind blowing!

Has anyone ever done of survey of the UT membership? I would bet that we cover a lot of desirable demographics, have high average incomes, high educational attainment, etc.

Actually, I AM an expert. I happen to work exclusively with LED lighting products. Not import, but manufacture right here in the GTA.

There is a difference between stage ready lighting and architectural lighting. I tend to agree that it should work more easily and that the mapping and programming should be more straight forward, but we're also likely talking about completely custom made fixtures. If I knew the product/vendor I could probably comment with more accuracy, but there can be any number of reasons why it's taking some time - not the least of which is that the contractor may or may not have the kind of hands-on experience that a stage guy would have with gear he uses over and over and supplies all the cables and controls for, or even do a dry run in a studio somewhere. The building was likely pre-wired to a certain set of requirements by a different contractor many months before, and it's possible that the specs changed at some point once testing of fixtures was done in real-life. This is a huge problem for us, actually - designers and architects who move the target on you, or change products entirely because so few fully understand what they are asking for in the first place.

So you're partly right, but also partly naive. Or maybe you really do know and just feel like being difficult. Who knows.

LUhwu.jpg

Back