Other than the roof line, I fail to see how people can take such offense to it. Where is the atrocity? The facade had a normal coherent pattern(unlike Trump), without any faux setbacks(unlike Trump) or random sized windows/floors(unlike Trump) or colors(once again unlike Trump).
And it would most likely have incorporated stone cladding in its entirety! Something we'll probably never see again in a building of that size in Toronto. :(

As for the rooftop, yeah its a bit much. But before Trump there wasn't any peaked rooftops in that area of the skyline or green hued buildings for that matter. I think it would of complimented its neighbors just fine to have that variety. That's why individually I would take it over the new bland as f*** monotone version of B-A that we got(with 2 more in the pipeline).
That is until Trump was built and changed everything...

though it would have clashed horribly with Trump.

Correction Ramako, Trump clashes horribly with everything :p
But anyways I agree, two peaked roof green glass buildings standing that close together would not have flattered each other in the least.

Excuse the crude cut n'paste job and the matter of the wrong perspective of Trump from the viewers point, but here would be the end result;

7887884610_3f850d2332_b.jpg

vs
7896225940_8f6a3f87cc_b.jpg
Yeah... that don't work at all.

Guess my point was that if I had to chose between Trump, the old BA and the new one I drop Trump and the new BA for one decent(not saying its a masterpiece by any means) Pomo building.
But since we're stuck with Trump, the new BA works far better in masking Trump.

Ya, the roof in general just didn't flow well with the shape of the skyline ^ (it REALLY clashes with Scotia Plaza). this building woulda made our skyline look a lot more Atlanta/Philadelphia-ish

And ya, I'm fine with what we got instead (BA west is simple and beautiful up close), but it really really sucks that we're getting near-identical twins with the exact same glass facade multiplied over again... We already have enough noticeable complexes/twins on our skyline, not just office, but even residential.

TD Centre, Brookfield Place, Ice, MLS, ROCP, Murano, Success, Met, future Harbour plaza, etc etc..

I just noticed this - back in 1989, they got their photo-montage wrong. You can see the Canada Trust building in front of the BAC in the photo. Had it been built, it would have blocked the view of Canada Trust from that angle.

That thing looks like it could have been a spaceship right out of a 2001: A Space Odyssey (No offense AoD). Perhaps it could have been refined to something a bit more acceptable but in that form it's just so damn busy and the roof screams Mississauga. Scotia Plaza it aint. I'd take the new designs of each building 100 out of 100 times.

The Terrace at STOCKâ„¢ is opening very soon! Just in time for the last month of patio season. I've been waiting nine years for this! I'm excited!

They're finally covering the spire! So I guess after it's covered we will see if the bird's nest will come down.

Other than the roof line, I fail to see how people can take such offense to it. Where is the atrocity? The facade had a normal coherent pattern(unlike Trump), without any faux setbacks(unlike Trump) or random sized windows/floors(unlike Trump) or colors(once again unlike Trump).
And it would most likely have incorporated stone cladding in its entirety! Something we'll probably never see again in a building of that size in Toronto. :(

As for the rooftop, yeah its a bit much. But before Trump there wasn't any peaked rooftops in that area of the skyline or green hued buildings for that matter. I think it would of complimented its neighbors just fine to have that variety. That's why individually I would take it over the new bland as f*** monotone version of B-A that we got(with 2 more in the pipeline).
That is until Trump was built and changed everything...

+1. The original B/A design was, unlike Trump, coherent all the way through. Even if you're not a fan of PoMo, you have to give the original design marks for consistency and unity of vision.

Trump is an example of an alarming trend in Toronto toward "dog's breakfast" architecture: buildings that don't look like they were designed by the same architect from top to bottom, kind of like wearing a sports jacket that clashes with your pants instead of a suit. Aura and that proposal for 50 Bloor Street west are other examples of this.

Back