After seeing that top-down photo, Trump is a lot wider than I though. I always thought of Trump tower as being a thin sliver of a building constructed on a very narrow piece of land. But the east to west length of the building is almost equal to that of the B-A centre's east to west length. And I've always feel that the B-A centre is somewhat stubby for its height because of its proportions.
Of course the difference is I'm comparing Trump's long side to B-A short side. Still I was thinking that Trump was going to be a taller version of MLS when really its going to be more like the Ritz - proportionally, not design wise.

After seeing that top-down photo, Trump is a lot wider than I though. I always thought of Trump tower as being a thin sliver of a building constructed on a very narrow piece of land. But the east to west length of the building is almost equal to that of the B-A centre's east to west length. And I've always feel that the B-A centre is somewhat stubby for its height because of its proportions.
Of course the difference is I'm comparing Trump's long side to B-A short side. Still I was thinking that Trump was going to be a taller version of MLS when really its going to be more like the Ritz - proportionally, not design wise.

You really think BA looks stubby ??
It seems rather skinky to me. It's an office building! We want it to have some girth to it. When you're underneath BA in real life I find it hard to believe you find it stuby like ... it always strikes me as taller then it really is.

One thing about trump is that it'll have some setbacks though.

I've strolled by Trump a handful of times over the past week (sorry, no photos!), and it will be interesting to see how the cladding on the parking levels turns out. Both the new and old renderings of the structure show flawlessly square windows that are flush with each other on the parking levels, in spite of the spiralling, slanted shape of the concrete parking ramps. Will glass even be installed on these levels, as shown through the renderings?

Regardless of the end result, this tower will be a beauty.

keep in mind that the glass and stone is simply a facade. Of course the outer appearance will be flawless and square... thats its job, to hide the structure underneath. Its just like the body work on a car which covers up the rather unsightly mechanical workings underneath with a sleek shape.

Architecturally, it might be a beauty...but when you put everything together, will you choose Trump Tower vs. Four Season, Shangri La or Riz Carton? Well, a friend of mine is a $1 million one bedroom serious buyer. After many personal visits and guided tours to the four's showroom, in TO, Chicago and Vancouver, he ranked Four Seasons first, quality and price wise, Ritz Carton second (although he admit he doesn't know much about Ritz reputation), Shangri La third (way too expensive, overpriced) and Trump last (there got to be a reason)

Last edited by a moderator:
keep in mind that the glass and stone is simply a facade. Of course the outer appearance will be flawless and square... thats its job, to hide the structure underneath. Its just like the body work on a car which covers up the rather unsightly mechanical workings underneath with a sleek shape.

Unsightly? Let's see Diamond do this:

pompidou1.jpg

Yeah, yeah, I know. Different building/context/use/time/budget/ blah, blah, blah. Still, putting those 'guts' on the outside made two architects extraordinarily famous.

Architecturally, it might be a beauty...but when you put everything together, will you choose Trump Tower vs. Four Season, Shangri La or Riz Carton? Well, a friend of mine is a $1 million one bedroom serious buyer. After many personal visits and guided tours to the four's showroom, in TO, Chicago and Vancouver, he ranked Four Seasons first, quality and price wise, Ritz Carton second (although he admit he doesn't know much about Ritz reputation), Shangri La third (way too expensive, overpriced) and Trump last (there got to be a reason)

Hey, I'll the first to admit, Four Season's showroom was/is beautiful! But, a showroom is only a showroom. Unfortunately, we have only have a sales office now, with the sales centre demolished exactly two years ago... Truth be told, you can't go wrong with any of these four developments as an investment. They are all going to be stunning and add to the City of Toronto's world-wide reputation as a growing world-class city. Each property offers something slightly different to a particular buyer. And in the case of Trump Toronto, currently, $1-million will only buy you a hotel condominium. We've long since sold out of our less expensive residential suites. Regardless, even though I'm biased, if I had the cashflow to do so, I'd certainly be willing to buy in any of these properties. They are all winners and all are getting built. It all just comes down to a matter of where you want to live and what amenities are important to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first job I have seen these entrance/exit and there are 2 of them.
IMG_sept-10-090150.jpg

The 2 elevators have a centre platform between them.
IMG_sept-10-090151.jpg

IMG_sept-10-090152.jpg

IMG_sept-10-090153.jpg

IMG_sept-10-090155.jpg

Starting to block the View of BA
IMG_sept-10-090157.jpg

IMG_sept-10-090132.jpg

I love the "from $1.8-million" on the sign, the emphasis being on the italicized from and the fact it means one thing for the rich and another thing for people like, well, myself.

Hey, I'll the first to admit, Four Season's showroom was/is beautiful! But, a showroom is only a showroom. Unfortunately, we have only have a sales office now, with the sales centre demolished exactly two years ago... Truth be told, you can't go wrong with any of these four developments as an investment. They are all going to be stunning and add to the City of Toronto's world-wide reputation as a growing world-class city. Each property offers something slightly different to a particular buyer. And in the case of Trump Toronto, currently, $1-million will only buy you a hotel condominium. We've long since sold out of our less expensive residential suites. Regardless, even though I'm biased, if I had the cashflow to do so, I'd certainly be willing to buy in any of these properties. They are all winners and all are getting built. It all just comes down to a matter of where you want to live and what amenities are important to you.

Well said, TT. I don't think lochlyn was talking only about the showroom, but I agree with all of your other sentiments.

September 15 2009 update

Trump Tower's now on the 11th floor ~ :)

Click to Enlarge Thumbnails

Back