I think you've nailed the problem Redroom. The model and renders did transmit an image of a tower that was lighter and more spire-like. The execution and selection of materials makes for something much heavier and oddly imposing - even with its small footprint.

I think it's safe to say that this is the worst project in the history of Toronto.

We'll forget about this by 2012. Things can only get better from rock bottom.

donaldtrumpintoronto_large.jpg

Well, the irregular floor spacing seems to affect only four of the middle floors. Perhaps once more of the building is completed they will be less distracting.

Great update, steveve!

I would agree with the previous post that the 'mismatched' cladding on the west side is actually the start of a new pattern.

As a design, it bundles parking/hotel/condo elements into an ill-fitting suit, and there's no coherent whole. Perhaps they'd have been on safer ground in expressing those differences rather than trying to unify them with a whizbang carapace? As for simple boxes, well, there's nowhere to hide when designing minimalism - compare handsomely proportioned ones such as the TD Centre or Casa with the many ungainly ones by lesser architects. Of recent large towers, I'd equate the look of Trump most closely with ROCP, or 1 KW. And a box that's trying not to look like a box need not fail as design - Teeple's 60 Richmond and the BCE Place towers are all boxes which have been carved away in interesting, modular ways, for instance.

I find it laughable that people are actually trying to defend and apologize for the bungled mess on the recent floors of cladding! the obvious mess is on the north west corner, but take a closer look towards the south west corner on the 3rd level of cladding from the top - there is a single random pane of spandrel amongst the expanse of clear glass! this looks terrible...

I find it laughable that people are actually trying to defend and apologize for the bungled mess on the recent floors of cladding! the obvious mess is on the north west corner, but take a closer look towards the south west corner on the 3rd level of cladding from the top - there is a single random pane of spandrel amongst the expanse of clear glass! this looks terrible...

What is going on with the glass? It does look terrible. It's like they're just throwing on random pieces now.

Back