Not surprising really, it's an easy target for criticism given its prominence and name. I really wish Hume would elaborate more.

Has Trump, trumped BA?

dscf0344o.jpg

dscf0353fy.jpg

dscf0352.jpg

Hume from The Star is already calling Trump Tower the worst building built/being built in T.O.

http://www.thestar.com/videozone/991059

thanks for posting that,
though i understand his dislike for the building, it definitely isn't the worst thing built in the last decade.

besides. this guy ranked Maple Leaf Square as the 2nd best in the city... that doesn't make sense at ALL!

BTW: the glass looks AWESOME in Geekaroo's last pic!

Last edited:
And interestingly, he does not articulate why its the ugliest building (and yes, I could not understand why the overly sterile buildings of MLS ranked as the 2nd best in the city? Better than the AGO which did not even rank?).

I don't understand how you can legitimately rank a building that is still under construction as the worst building in Toronto. Ridiculous.

MLS brought so much vibrancy to that dead area. It's wonderful and engaging.

Hume obviously puts a lot of emphasis on how buildings meet the street.

I disagree on his dislike for Trump, but to be fair it is an outdated conservative and rather tacky design. The fact they never really tried to do something truly great is probably what gets to him.

Outdated, conservative? Quite often when architects try to push the envelope they finish with something that REALLY doesn't work. I guess that if you follow your reasoning
the Chrysler building in New York or the Empire State Building are outdated and unappealing. The fact is that "Everything old is new again". If you want a truly horrible
building, try Brookfield Place Canada Trust Tower. That top ruins the entire city skyline!

I don't understand how you can legitimately rank a building that is still under construction as the worst building in Toronto. Ridiculous.

Haters gonn hate!
and it seems like there are others that should be on that list that didn't make it. seems like he looked at 5 buildings and made that list,
MLS in concept is great, but the buildings themselves are ugly.

hopefully this onion dome + spire is going to say something special! Wopchop, this is in your hands... hehehe! :D

I was ready to bet that Hume would choose Crystal Blu as the #1 worst so far in this century. I mean really, those "slashes" are more than grotesque. What can I say, I was wrong again, but I wasn't wrong about his other choices for the worst-of list, in fact I guessed them, but not in the same order as he rhymed them off again for the umpteenth time.

Then again, Crystal Blu is not ugly, now that I think about it. It's just sort of dumb.

Hume seemed to be unsure of whether he was counting down the "ugliest" buildings or the "worst" buildings. In the poor fashion of a true pretender, he made no effort to delineate the two.

He gave so little elaboration throughout this video series that he may have well just released a point-form list.

Back