The City Target in Chicago is quite small for a Target, so I could see them, if they had the opportunity, to open a larger one in a downtown setting. There's also a Target with almost no other retail support around it in Chicago on Broadway. It's huge.

...followed by a bunch of snobbery. Look, Targets can be found in far more (to use your term) 'prestigious' areas in New York and Chicago. They fit in just fine. This strikes me as a pretty good spot for one.

Is there one in Manhattan, other than the one at the Northeastern tip of the island, by FDR Drive?

All this Target talk is interesting in light of today's headlines saying Target lost a billion dollars last year on their Canadian roll out.

Is it just me, or isn't this location kinda crappy for a Target? There's no other destination retail anywhere close.
That's changing though. With all the new condos and and expanded retail at Union, perhaps this will become more of a destination. There's also that Nordstrom's rumour for the Dominion Public Building too.

It's as good/crappy of a location (From a neighbourhood retail perspective) as the former WalMart on Bathurst. Both WalMart and Target "are" the destination retail. Both destinations 'feed' (from a toilet paper and generic goods perspective) the thousands of people who live south of railway tracks from the Fort York neighbourhood all the way east.

It’s really disturbing that a giant American chain that sells mostly disposable junk made in sweatshops is being anticipated by so many here with such alacrity.

As usual, I hope whatever retail goes in this area is as independently/locally-owned as possible.

It’s really disturbing that a giant American chain that sells mostly disposable junk made in sweatshops is being anticipated by so many here with such alacrity.

As usual, I hope whatever retail goes in this area is as independently/locally-owned as possible.

Dude... we're talking about retail leasing and development. Give me a break.

So small, with no covenant and highly likely to not last? Yes that's the ticket!

...followed by a bunch of snobbery. Look, Targets can be found in far more (to use your term) 'prestigious' areas in New York and Chicago. They fit in just fine. This strikes me as a pretty good spot for one.

Have you actually been in the Targets here? I have, they're reminiscent of the Byway in Scarborough when I was a kid (remember those?), just to cheap looking for the area, unless they step up their act, like Leon's did with the Round House.

Aren't the Targets here just souped up versions of Zellers?

Have you actually been in the Targets here? I have, they're reminiscent of the Byway in Scarborough when I was a kid (remember those?), just to cheap looking for the area, unless they step up their act, like Leon's did with the Round House.

What, the old Byway is what Dollarama is now, everything under 3 bucks, big difference from a place that sells furniture, electronics, and groceries

The Longo's at MLS has hours of 7am-11pm 7 days a week. The 124K sq ft Target on State Street in Chicago has hours of 7am-10pm Mon-Fri and 8am-10pm Sat, 8am-9pm Sun. I could see similar hours like that happening here if Target were to open, especially if they have a grocery component.

But notice how Targets (and all department stores) usually locate in malls, while major malls rarely contain grocery stores? There's different dynamics. The agglomeration effect doesn't really exist for grocery stores.

State Street is a shopping street. It makes sense for Target to locate there like it would make sense for Target to locate on Yonge, Bloor, or Queen West. Being located on Lake Shore Blvd in Toronto is more like being located on, well, Lake Shore Dr in Chicago.

I agree that the grocery department would be a key component for this location.

Last edited:

You may not like it but people living in surrounding condos are consumers just like any others and they are looking to buy cheaply. And they certainly would come here rather than have to travel to Gerrard Square, Dufferin Mall or the big boxes in the burbs. Lots of grocery stores around but most are quite expensive and certainly don't stock items provided by Target. Meanwhile the Bay at Queen is going upscale and the Sears is gone. A store like Target here will be a massive hit.

Back