In terms of density, nothing compares to the CBD: Front St. up to Queen, University Ave. east to Victoria. There are 10 large-scale multi-tower business complexes plus numerous other office, residential, and hotel towers interspersed and there are more being squeezed in. There may only be one or two very small surface parking lots remaining, about as crowded as it gets in my view with density akin to Midtown Manhattan.

Holy crap! Talk about bringing down the neighbourhood!

Couldn't you just imagine telling your freinds "yeah, I live in that expensive new condo near the lake - you know, the one with the Target store"

ewwww

so I wonder if the existing purchasers will get a refund based on the reduced value of their properties.

This was rumoured for a long time. I don't particularly care about Target, but this is still exciting to me because it shows that major retail is becoming viable throughout the city rather than just being concentrated around the PATH, the Eaton Centre, Queen West and Bloor-Yorkville. There's going to be a huge population of people living and working in Southcore, CityPlace and the waterfront who want somewhere local to shop. Hopefully the remaining 50,000 square feet will be occupied by stuff that's a little higher end, but I doubt that will be a problem now that they've scored a massive anchor tenant like that.

Hahaha - I can just imagine the suburbanites on a lazy weekend...

"hey, lets go shopping downtown"

"are you kidding, I cant afford Yorkville"

"no no, we'll go to the Target store"

"great idea Madge, wait here, I'll go get the mini van"

"hold on, I have to take the curlers out of my hair"

"don't bother, it's just Southcore"

Hahaha - I can just imagine the suburbanites on a lazy weekend...

"hey, lets go shopping downtown"

"are you kidding, I cant afford Yorkville"

"no no, we'll go to the Target store"

"great idea Madge, wait here, I'll go get the mini van"

"hold on, I have to take the curlers out of my hair"

"don't bother, it's just Southcore"

It's not a matter of being able to afford Yorkville. Yorkville only really offers one kind of retail - high end fashion. If I'm just looking to buy some stuff for around the house, a toy for my nephew, some headphones or whatever else, why wouldn't I go to the Target if it's closer? Going shopping doesn't always have to be some kind of leisure event... usually people just need stuff.

King West continues to be an expensive place even with two Dollaramas. Everyone loves cheap stuff. Target is not going to change any property values - if anything, it will raise them. It's the discount brand for young professionals - aka condo owners.

Holy crap! Talk about bringing down the neighbourhood!

Couldn't you just imagine telling your freinds "yeah, I live in that expensive new condo near the lake - you know, the one with the Target store"

ewwww

so I wonder if the existing purchasers will get a refund based on the reduced value of their properties.

Wow, sometimes the snobbish attitude on here blows me away!

This is exactly the sort of thing that will bring a neighborhood together. Not specifically a Target, but strong retail that isn't exclusive to any one "class". Who the heck wants to live in a city where every place is striving to be Bloor between Yonge and Avenue.

This is exactly the sort of thing that will bring a neighborhood together. Not specifically a Target, but strong retail that isn't exclusive to any one "class". Who the heck wants to live in a city where every place is striving to be Bloor between Yonge and Avenue.

I completely agree, re the snobbish behavior; What I've always loved about Toronto, is its core (greater downtown core that is) offers something for literary everyone, some other cities have this but not to the same degree I find. This just continues that trend.

Heck for those who think folks who live downtown wouldn't be caught dead in a target, which I don't believe for a second, that's OK, the market will correct things 5/ 10 years from now and it'll go out of business, and likely be replaced by some high end grocery store ... which is fine ...

Target is not strong retail. Go visit one of their existing stores. Tons of empty shelves, no real brands to speak of (which everyone had been hoping for).
I think Target U.S. Is using Canada as their clearance centre.

Target is not strong retail. Go visit one of their existing stores. Tons of empty shelves, no real brands to speak of (which everyone had been hoping for).
I think Target U.S. Is using Canada as their clearance centre.

I have to disagree here. I think that Canadian Targets have some problems, chiefly in controlling inventory, but generally I find the prices competitive. That is, competitive compared to other places to shop in Toronto: I don't have a car and would never have gone to Buffalo to shop at Target anyways. I also like the fact that for the time being their stores are calmer than Walmart locations.

More importantly, consider what the neighbourhood's options are here: as Ramako said, if I need something ordinary like dish soap, a toy for a nephew, cat food, some potting soil for my balcony plants, some towels, a yoga mat, etc. I would sure be happy to have one convenient location to go to that's close by. Suburbanites tend to have more options that are less of a hassle (ample parking, no need to brave crowded subways). I predict that this particular location will be quite successful.

Target is not strong retail. Go visit one of their existing stores. Tons of empty shelves, no real brands to speak of (which everyone had been hoping for). I think Target U.S. Is using Canada as their clearance centre.

Second hand comment - my wife went to a Target store to try and pick up some basic items - bathroom facecloths / towels, some underwear / night ware, casual wear items, that type of thing. She was dismayed at the general poor quality and limited range of the items being stocked - ended up leaving the store without having purchased anything, and a commitment that, if this is how Target regards the Canadian consumer - she would not be back again. Her comment was that on a comparable item basis, even Zellers had consistently much better quality merchandise than Target.

Back