It’s not about me not liking it, it’s about ethics and the broader effects of our consumption and quality of our communities. I know people will shop there. If anything, that’s my point: People will be tempted to get the easiest, cheapest, most unethical junk rather than go out of their way to look for such things. I really doubt most people living in this area have an addiction to giant department stores, but, if they do, more of a reason to not facilitate this habit.

Also, the last thing this place needs is a department store; everything in Southcore is already so monolithic and cold. It needs smaller retail more than anywhere else I can think of downtown.

And what sort of "small retail" belongs here in your opinion?

Well, I agree with the big-box feel of South Core. The neighborhood has a certain functional sterility that reminds me of cities like Dallas or Houston.

It’s not about me not liking it, it’s about ethics and the broader effects of our consumption and quality of our communities. I know people will shop there. If anything, that’s my point: People will be tempted to get the easiest, cheapest, most unethical junk rather than go out of their way to look for such things. I really doubt most people living in this area have an addiction to giant department stores, but, if they do, more of a reason to not facilitate this habit.

Also, the last thing this place needs is a department store; everything in Southcore is already so monolithic and cold. It needs smaller retail more than anywhere else I can think of downtown.

Target sells unethical junk. Lots of small independent stores sell unethical junk. Saks, Nordstrom Holt's sell the more expensive unethical junk.

Can someone get back on Target? I mean Topic?

The excavation seems like it's taking a normal time to come back up to grade; nothing speedy or anything. Will be fun to see how high the structures become in 2014.

February 2014 Construction Update from Menkes youtube

[video=youtube;yCH9suTYBWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCH9suTYBWE[/video]

March 2014 Construction Update from Menkes youtube

[video=youtube;5NYd2b-xWFg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NYd2b-xWFg[/video]

March 6 - photo by Menke

57gf.jpg

Last edited:
I've been out of the loop in this project, even thought I drive by the site every day.

Are they working on both projects coming up at the same time...(One York + Harbour Plaza Residence)...all three towers ?

Me too, but, unless traffic has completely stopped, it's not like we can just stick our heads out the window for a better look (we could try, but given the blizzard today, probably not the best idea!). To keep myself updated, every Sunday I grab my camera and walk around the core, helps get me back in shape after my surgeries, and let's me see just how bloody fast they're slapping these towers up. A little too fast perhaps. I'm beginning to wonder how many contractors are compromising quality for speed?

after 5-6 years this area will be amazing with that density and number of buildings. I guess this will be the most densed area in Toronto.

after 5-6 years this area will be amazing with that density and number of buildings. I guess this will be the most densed area in Toronto.

Even with all the current project U/C, the CBD will still be more dense than Southcore.

Last edited:

Back