Hopefully it's not that bad. Tridel, the usual architectural dud, rose to the occasion with a stunner for their signature project. Menkes' proposal will be equally (or more) prominent on the skyline. Any lesser of an attempt will be an automatic disappointment. Tridel seems to have stuck with Wallman for their downtown projects, will be interesting to see what Menkes counters with.

Yes, these towers will be prominent on the skyline and they should have some design merit and night lighting feature. I have no doubt Menkes will put their best foot forward for what will become their signature project.

Yes, these towers will be prominent on the skyline and they should have some design merit and night lighting feature. I have no doubt Menkes will put their best foot forward for what will become their signature project.

From a strictly architectural standpoint, I think everyone here is in agreement about the need for design variation in this area. The potential skyline renders (using Sketchup or whatever) are scaring me more than a tad. Not that those are bad amateur efforts by our fellow UT posters (far from it!), but at this point in time, everything about our future is looking too block-like. I maintain we need some points of interest in the next go-round.

Architects and developers: some timelessly interesting skins and peaks, please. It can't be that costly!

Last edited:
Walked by the site today, saw the board with the line renderings and ......wait for it........wait for it......twin boxes a la 501 Yonge + 12 stories and an office tower....wait for it .....wait for it ..... 30something story non-descript box a la telus and 18 york same proportions and everything. Shocking

Well, I was expecting that the office building would be another interchangable 30s brick, they seem to be the only type of office building being built in Southcore. As for the twin 70s residential towers, I am waiting on the renders. The elevations have proven to be uninformative or even deceptive in the past, simply because of the lack of 3D information. Almost ANY tower is going to look like a Casa/Spire clone if you only have an elevation.

they actually have a west elevation on the west side(York St) and a south elevation on harbor. No odd shapes here.

I can't believe not ONE developer in the Southcore area (apart from maybe those of the ICE project to a degree) want to give us something different down here. Seriously!

I'm dying to see these elevations :)

It is frustrating, but perhaps this is the que for us to just embrace the "Toronto style" of architecture, maybe by sheer numbers and height we will impress.

What pictures? I don't think they posted correctly cuz I don't see any pictures at all!

Post of the century : a teaser

photo-845.jpg

Pretty square...looking like boxes:confused:

Just a close up of caltrane's image.

NnfCC.jpg

i know people are going to hate on boxes, but at the end of the day we are going to see 3 70+ storey towers on the same block. As long as they arent ugly i dont care what shape they are.

Here is the best I could do standing on the pebbles at the base of the sign

photo-781.jpg

Flash killing it. A bit.

EDIT:
Notice the funny alignment of the two towers? Looks like the two main towers meet at an L shape. One with a north-south alining and the second has an east-west.

Last edited:

Back