Did you guys notice the city's only complaint/concern with this development was the spacing between the towers? Do you think it is possible if push came to shove we could end up with slimmer and taller towers. As the developer complies with the city's request in this regard.

I believe most or all of the negotiating has already taken place and the comment is ther simply to make it appear ias if there are negotiations to come. This deal was done long before the announcement or certainly there would not have been such a big media event.

your crazy. absalutely koo-koo. if this gets approved, i will lose all respect for this city.

i'll stand by my thoughts that this is better (creativity and uniqueness wise) than even 10 york. 10 york is a pure box with a weird podium.. there's not even some sort of mechanical feature on that thing! the more i see this, the more i don't mind it.... this is definitely not great, but still much much better than 10 york

Twin towers don't have to look dull. This looks interesting.

Petronas_twin_towers_seen_from_park.jpg

61652_twin_towers_lippo_centre_hong_kong_china.jpg

Last edited:
Steveve, no one is comparing this to 10 York. The criticism is that, along with ICE, MLS, the Telus tower, etc. all we are getting in this area is a series of tallish twin towers coupled with an uninteresting 30 storey box commercial building. The formula is dull, uninspiring, and reeks of profiteering at the expense of creativity.

We haven't even seen the renders of the towers yet, so we are simply commenting on the boring formulaic approach. Seriously, you like the multiplication of (rather mediocre except for the height) sameness?

Ooooh! Another twinset-and-pearls combo!

It's a classic. If done well, in a district where the form is repeated a few times, and designed by some of our top architects, the result will be striking. There's nothing wrong with the repitition of harmonious forms.

But, you guys are finally getting what you've always wanted. Strong beefy podiums, beefy podiums with powerful retail. Not dry cleaners, or variety stores. (a major and consistent complaint on this board) So you win some and you lose some.

I believe most or all of the negotiating has already taken place and the comment is ther simply to make it appear ias if there are negotiations to come. This deal was done long before the announcement or certainly there would not have been such a big media event.

What are you going on about? There's been no media event.

call me crazy, but i'd still take this design any day over Tridels 10 york. these towers don't have weird podiums and are very slim/sleek silhouette,

I like Tridel's design better and think that Tridel is a far superior developer as well.

I like Tridel's design better and think that Tridel is a far superior developer as well.

Same here and agreed.
I wouldn't say 10 York is Wallman's best work, but at least when he designs a box there's some imagination and creativity involved as opposed to the sterility seen here.

It's a classic. If done well, in a district where the form is repeated a few times, and designed by some of our top architects, the result will be striking. There's nothing wrong with the repitition of harmonious forms.

But for a skyline to be dominated by twin tower condos when it was once characterized with a mixture of unique bank towers, each with their own colour and style? (Other than the TD towers, but repetition was part of its unique style)

I have nothing else against this development, and this is not even a big deal. I just think the combination of Ice, Maple Leaf Square, and this development, added to older twin towers like Harbour Square and all of those condos along Queens Quay, have given us a skyline of cookie-cutter forms. Sure, they've also given our skyline more volume and height. But as someone once said on this forum (I can't remember who), our skyline is beginning to be dominated with "filler". There's no signature forms that help break it up other than the CN tower and skydome. With the banking towers now increasingly obscured by these new towers, we're getting monotonous colours and monotonous forms.

Again, this is a relatively small concern, considering that the look of our skyline has virtually no impact on the daily lives of Torontonians. Nonetheless, people on this forum do seem to be concerned with how our skyline stacks up against cities around the world. I just think that all of these twin towers diminish it.

Here's a photo I took from my GF's condo of the site. The shot includes the other recent development sites right around there and the possible one at the bottom, beside the Harbour Commission Building. Gives an overview.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 408
wow. talk about a HUGE site for all development! a big chunk of the city right there. this is crazy how its in the downtown core.

Back