These two images come from the same article but they look like two different projects. Maybe two options?

90harbour3.jpg

Looks awesome!! Thanks guy!

Big Daddy's failure to see that the designs in the rendering and the elevation are the same project is, to me, symptomatic of the regular flap on UT that attends the release of elevation drawings. The flap sounds like this: "aA's latest designs are so cut and paste, I'm so bored by them lately, they didn't give a second thought to the design, wah wahhh". Then the rendering comes out, or the building goes up: "This is one of their best yet".

Some people have a hard time with elevations. I was trying to convince some people for weeks at SSP that at least one of the buildings was circular.

I think i had the same problem here when I first photographed the elevation drawings, which were obviously a bit harder to decipher due to the quality of my iphone cam and the lighting conditions at night when I took the photos.

Yes, I agree, except often its ONLY "one of their best yet". However here (and with Ice, pier 27 and 4-Czauns imo, as im not really a fan of either the muranos or casa, spire, 22 wellesley etc..) I will give them marks for getting more interesting and diverse in their design approach. I like the candy cane tower since it is subtely different without being overly "dubaiish", yet draws ones eye away from the plain jane boxes around the area and the office tower is better than a box if only slightly. I like the work on four seasons and seamless flowing towers a lot more than messy spandral filled ones. And I am no expert in taste of how a tower should look, its an opinion. (This last part applies to everyone though doesn't it? I mean unless you actually are a world class architect, then maybe you get extra consideration of your opinion, and in that case you would be on a design panal or building your own builds and would have no time for this site...right?)

I like how the circular tower plays off the rectangular one, I like the effect better than two of either the cylinder or rectangle. The smaller office component has some potential too, what with its twists and turns. It's subtle though, so I'm sure it'll be derided as being a boring box.

I agree the office tower has potential, definitly more interesting to me based on renderings than either Telus, PwC, or the new Royal Bank tower going up.

:eek: The B.H.U. - 'Box-haters United' will not take this sitting down!

But seriously, give it a rest.
Nobody is completely 'hating on boxes' per say. For example, many 'boxy' built, u/c or proposed high-rises (e.g. Telus, Lumiere, X, The 4 Season's, TCHC: Block 32, Sick Kids, Theatre Park, The Gansevoort Hotel and Picasso) are almost universally applauded here on UT. And that includes those of us, such as myself, that you would likely label as 'box haters'.

Yeah, when done right, some boxes are OK.... but i really like this guys idea...:cool:
Toronto to review 'vitally important' vision for future
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...y-important-vision-for-future/article2291999/

The report, Bolder and Brighter, set for debate at a planning and growth management committee meeting on Thursday, suggests that, to keep up with other international cities, Toronto should consider implementing mandatory design competitions for buildings over a given height, designating pedestrian-only streets, establishing special design districts to ensure new projects jibe with neighbourhood character, and coming up with a bold new city slogan.

That is going to be one hell of a barber shop!

lol! i don't understand why the rectangular twin looks so different than the circular twin. they share little to no similar characteristics, and the fact that they share a podium is just awkward.

don't even get me started on the office tower.

initially, I thought this one was better than 10 york... but as it sits, neither one of them leaves too much to be desired... 10 york has the slight edge now

Yeah, when done right, some boxes are OK.... but i really like this guys idea...:cool:
Toronto to review 'vitally important' vision for future
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...y-important-vision-for-future/article2291999/

The report, Bolder and Brighter, set for debate at a planning and growth management committee meeting on Thursday, suggests that, to keep up with other international cities, Toronto should consider implementing mandatory design competitions for buildings over a given height, designating pedestrian-only streets, establishing special design districts to ensure new projects jibe with neighbourhood character, and coming up with a bold new city slogan.

Why limit design competitions to highrises? Mid-rise and low-rise buildings should be included too. Imagine what we may have got it there was a design competition for one of the busiest, most high profile intersections in the city with 10 Dundas East?

Its frustrating to hear of design competitions now AFTER the announcement or approvals of about 5-10 65 floor projects. Honestly, the subject has come up here numerous times over the years. By the time it happens the cycle will be complete and there will be nothing to review.

Back