Here is my take on the elevations, they're pretty tough to go by. I'm pretty sure the Eastern Tower is an oval, and that the Central tower has a curved corner on the north western corner as stated by Caltrane. It's very tough to tell though as the top down elevation doesn't show the shape of the towers.

Please keep in mind this is a quick render no textures or lighting here. I may finish texturing it today when I get back from Hockey practice.
[video=youtube;DxXSUHSoJrQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxXSUHSoJrQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]
You'll probably need to watch it large to see the curve on the centre tower.

Last edited:
The circular tower at least has something interesting going for it, the office tower looks like the generic Southcore building we've seen many times before, with slightly different features, and the signature aA box is just a disgrace. If they made it twin round towers it could possibly be tolerable, but then it would look too much like Ice from a distance. Also another aA hack job on the mechanical box.

Round tower: B
Office tower: C
Box: D-

At least these won't be blocking the REAL signature buildings of Toronto.. oh wait.

Last edited:
Let's see just how low we can sink with the cynicism, huh?

I predict (todays date is Jan 6, 2012) that the designs will be changed, wholesale, before the construction starts.

Let's see just how low we can sink with the cynicism, huh?

I predict (todays date is Jan 6, 2012) that the designs will be changed, wholesale, before the construction starts.

Probably, while they are at it, they should also jumble the height...say by 8 stories, one at 78s and the other 62s,

I really hope the cylindrical tower is in fact an oval floorplate. A perfect cylinder wouldn't look right IMO. It's alright for CityPlace Parade but I don't want that here. I'd prefer an oval like modelled above.

Your model looks awesome, andrewjm3d. Thanks for doing that! What did you use to create the model? (Sketchup)?

I really hope the cylindrical tower is in fact an oval floorplate. A perfect cylinder wouldn't look right IMO. It's alright for CityPlace Parade but I don't want that here. I'd prefer an oval like modelled above.

Your model looks awesome, andrewjm3d. Thanks for doing that! What did you use to create the model? (Sketchup)?

Thanks, no I used Maya.

Has this proposal been given the green light? If I remember correctly there was supposed to be tiered construction from the lake to the existing core. Maybe this was only a proposal, so I don't know how firm that is, but it may get in the way of all the newer tall ones coming up for approval. Someone will have a better idea of what is fact or just hot air floating about.

Has this proposal been given the green light? If I remember correctly there was supposed to be tiered construction from the lake to the existing core. Maybe this was only a proposal, so I don't know how firm that is, but it may get in the way of all the newer tall ones coming up for approval. Someone will have a better idea of what is fact or just hot air floating about.

Well, i dont think Menkes would have paid the Province big bucks for this property if they knew that they would encounter huge problems with the height and approvals from the city.
..Also i suspect they know, that very little pressure will come from the neighbourhood folks...This is the real deal:cool:

Hope so. There has been talk about height restrictions in that area, but I agree, they wouldn't pay those big bucks without a good return on their investment. The height restriction that has been talked about would put the brakes on a lot of major construction. We'll find out soon enough.

Well, i dont think Menkes would have paid the Province big bucks for this property if they knew that they would encounter huge problems with the height and approvals from the city.
..Also i suspect they know, that very little pressure will come from the neighbourhood folks...This is the real deal:cool:

Agreed, nobody would pay this much for a site and let so much out of the bag unless most of the key issues were already put to bed.

I don't think height will be an issue but there may be some pressure on the developer to open up to a design competition. (maybe just a personal desire)

I really hope this is just a proposal view and subject to change. I like the office component, however the condo towers leave me flat. The kidney shaped tower with the candy striped balconies looks like a cheap version of Absolute World. Balcony designs to accentuate the shape without the twist in the building. The square tower...really another one. If they had taken the angle component of the tower and ran it vertically, twisted the square or gave the building some angles somewhere. The only thing I can say that I like about this project is that both of the condo towers are not the same shape. Toronto has too many salt and pepper shaker towers as it is. At the very least there will be some variety in this project.

Instead of crowding three very mediocre buildings onto this site I would rather see one single mixed use super-tall - something over 100 storeys' on the scale of Chicago's John Hancock Tower.

This is one of the most prominent building sites remaining on the downtown waterfront. Whatever gets built here will standout in every postcard view of our skyline for probably the next 100 years or more (unlike Trump Tower which is largely hidden from view).

Given the importance of its location therefore this is one project that demands an International design competition. This is a project that demands the skill and imagination of a world class architectural firm (e.g. S.O.M., Pelli, Foster,Gehry, etc.) and should not be left in the hands of a local firm best known for its cookie cutter designs.

An added advantage of a single super-tall at this site is the smaller overall footprint which would allow for a larger pedestrian plaza at street level.

Last edited:
I m not sure if you can blame Architects for poor design. Architect want to create something new and exciting!! Usually good design/material is more expansive. The developer sold cheap boxes successful over the last decade. Why change it? Design firms have to do what the developer is requesting. I blame developer who are no risk taker.

That's not fair, if you paid $100 million dollars in a peice of real estate how much risk could you bear?

How many chances do you take, especially considering the economics for high quality towers does not exist in Toronto. And even if they did, it would be in Yorkville and not here.

Back