/And there it is gif <3

Last edited:
Seems like it goes quick like steel structure once they get started.

PXL_20211202_221759302.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20211202_221343585.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20211202_222027716.NIGHT.jpg

Last edited:
Is there always this much concrete in a timber building? I get the elevator shaft but I thought that it would be limited to that
For my understanding, timber tends to be a better medium for vibration transfer than concrete which is oft not desirable. So I suspect the concrete may help attempt to dampen/tone that down a bit.

I'm a little surprised that the glulam isn't sheathed in something? When the AGO went up every single piece of material had a plastic sheath on it to protect the glulam from the elements. Has the technology just changed in the last decade to make the material more weather resistant?

And how are they protecting it during construction? Those columns look like they'd be ruined the first time someone tries leaning material against them. How's the floor going to stand up to scissor lifts and spider cranes driving across them? Or is this wood the structural wood, and finished millwork is to follow?

The only other significant glulam installation I can think of in Toronto is the AGO, so I'm curious how it all works!

I'm a little surprised that the glulam isn't sheathed in something? When the AGO went up every single piece of material had a plastic sheath on it to protect the glulam from the elements. Has the technology just changed in the last decade to make the material more weather resistant?

And how are they protecting it during construction? Those columns look like they'd be ruined the first time someone tries leaning material against them. How's the floor going to stand up to scissor lifts and spider cranes driving across them? Or is this wood the structural wood, and finished millwork is to follow?

The only other significant glulam installation I can think of in Toronto is the AGO, so I'm curious how it all works!

It was also used at the Credit Valley Hospital expansion back in the early 2000s - the glulam elements were exposed during construction:

There was also 80 Atlantic, the columns/beams seem to be exposed and then covered later on:

AoD

Is there always this much concrete in a timber building? I get the elevator shaft but I thought that it would be limited to that

There's not really a "standard" at this point because the technology/process (CLT/MLT/glulam/similar) is still relatively new, at least in its contemporary application. The version you see the most of in office and resi right now is a concrete core and underground, with predominantly everything else being one of the wood products, but there are some cases where you're seeing it all done in wood, including the core.

This newly opened, 20-storey cultural centre and hotel in Sweden is making the rounds for being among the most advanced and aggressive tall timber project -- it's among the tallest tall timber buildings ever built, and was built by stacking prefabbed timber modules between two CLT cores, all using wood from forests within 50km of the site. Very cool stuff.

It was also used at the Credit Valley Hospital expansion back in the early 2000s - the glulam elements were exposed during construction:

Well, that was just the coolest thing I've seen all this week. Thanks! /bows

Back