Who knows, maybe we'll have a thread for R6 by the end of the day today… there does seem to be a slice of it showing in an—ahem—new rendering (shh, don't tell anyone about it for a few hours) of the reworked plan for Queens Quay Place that's being unveiled this morning at Tridel's Bayside Presentation Centre (like I said, shh, they're bringing in Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark to open an architecture exhibit of work by 3XN at the centre and it appears that at least Queens Quay Place has been redesigned by 3XN as a mass timber building, and maybe 3XN are doing the affordable residential building too but I am way less sure about that so again, ssh!)

(If you want a sneak peek, the database file as been updated!)

Okay, so it's this building that's coming to the WT DRP this month, not the affordable residential building. "R6" is still a ways off.

We will have a full report coming up later, but here are four pics of mine from the event, (which besides unveiling the design for the office building — now to be called T3 Bayside, thread name changing — was also to announce that the Tridel Bayside presentation centre is now hosting a 3XN exhibition of models, renderings, and photos of waterfront buildings they have designed around the world) and Jack will have a pile more to look at soon.

Most of the best, most detailed models are hidden behind the row of photographers below. That's Avi Tesciuba of Hines speaking, HRH (HKH) CP Frederik is seated just to his left. HRH(HKH)CPF did not speak, but Thomas Winkler, the Danish Ambassador to Canada did, along with Kim Herforth Neilsen, founding partner of 3XN, and several other Tridel and Waterfront Toronto types.

HRH(HKH)CPF, below, with Avi Tesciuba.

Two shots of the T3 at Bayside model:

Last edited:
Looks promising. Certainly much more attractive to look at from Queen's Quay than the north side of Aquavista.

The database file mentions below-grade parking, but the render and model both have cars on the second floor. Has that changed? (It could be a cheeky rejoinder to people concerned about tall timber buildings, I guess. "You don't think wood is strong enough for tall structures? Here, we'll park a bunch of cars on top of it!")

Here is the article Alex wrote regarding this development in today's G&M...

Looks promising. Certainly much more attractive to look at from Queen's Quay than the north side of Aquavista.

The database file mentions below-grade parking, but the render and model both have cars on the second floor. Has that changed? (It could be a cheeky rejoinder to people concerned about tall timber buildings, I guess. "You don't think wood is strong enough for tall structures? Here, we'll park a bunch of cars on top of it!")
I do think it's a bit in the cheeky rejoinder spirit, but they may just be saying "hey, you could plunk a car dealer in here". I expect that all parking will be underground, but will be interested to see just how large a freight elevator shows up in the plans. (Kim Herforth Neilsen did mention at the event today how flexible mass timber buildings are in terms of being disassembled if need be in the future, so maybe an inference can be drawn that a giant car-size elevator could be popped in without too much trouble if needed…) We shall see.

Here is the article Alex wrote regarding this development in today's G&M...

Here is pretty well a similar article that you can check out without a subscription

Hines to build T3 Bayside, North America’s tallest timber office
T3 Bayside is still in planning, with a scheduled appearance before the Waterfront Toronto design review panel on March 20. However, Tesciuba said T3 Bayside will feature twin buildings on Queens Quay which will form a gateway to the rest of Bayside Toronto.

Plans are for T3 Bayside to include 230,000 square feet of office space and 10,000 square feet of retail at grade. It will also feature a 26,000-square-foot, second-floor parking lot. It will accommodate about 40 cars and could be converted to additional office space in the future if parking needs lessen.
More...... https://renx.ca/t3-bayside-timber-office-hines-build-bayside-toronto/

From the above article "It will also feature a 26,000-square-foot, second-floor parking lot. It will accommodate about 40 cars and could be converted to additional office space in the future if parking needs lessen." Smart strategy!

From the above article "It will also feature a 26,000-square-foot, second-floor parking lot. It will accommodate about 40 cars and could be converted to additional office space in the future if parking needs lessen." Smart strategy!

That is really smart, saves them on digging deep for a garage and gives time for public transit to catch up. Wonder how they would make use of the car ramp though.

That is really smart, saves them on digging deep for a garage and gives time for public transit to catch up. Wonder how they would make use of the car ramp though.
I imagine they will have parking underground as well - this will simply allow them to convert if demand drops, not disappears. Probably saves them a level of below grade.

I imagine they will have parking underground as well - this will simply allow them to convert if demand drops, not disappears. Probably saves them a level of below grade.
Great point! I don't know enough about timber builds, but it will be interesting to see if they can stick to this agressive 2 year schedule if excavation is included. My fingers are crossed, this office will bring much needed life to the area.

"...plans to start construction in early 2020, for completion in late 2021." https://www.theglobeandmail.com/art...ll-wood-office-tower-for-torontos-waterfront/

For anyone who was at the event, was there mention of progress on tall timber height reg changes to the OBC?

It strikes me that we now have a solid handful of (very exciting) timber proposals that aren't actually currently legal.

Back