IMG_3994.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_3995.jpg
    IMG_3995.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_3996.jpg
    IMG_3996.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 485
The foundation for this project is very interesting in that it sits above the Yonge Street subway tunnel. If anyone has a diagram of the excavation and shoring steps required to build out this foundation I'd love too see it posted. It's a complex engineering accomplishment that I'd really like to see explained.

@jozl, you should go to this page and download the Architectural Plans. You'll see exactly how it's laid out—but I can tell you that essentially they've built a long bridge over the subway tunnel, with columns either side of the tunnel for its full length through the site. The bridge will act as a long transfer slab. The building will be supported both by columns going directly into the earth where there is no tunnel below it, and by the transfer slab/bridge where the tunnel is below it.

Thanks interchange42. I'll check out the site you suggested. Your explanation of the engineering is similar to what I initially thought was happening but as the foundation progressed and got more complex I got lost.

Wow I had no idea this one was already above ground level. I guess this is what happens when you don't pay attention to a project because it's painfully bland.

This site has now been shrouded with black mesh around its perimeter. Too bad, it's now very difficult to see any progress taking place. I wonder if it's a security move because of the exposed subway tunnel.

It's to minimize dust and dirt blowing around offsite.

Back