Thanks drewp.

Leaving the issue of massing and architecture aside, the rezoning app does contain a lot of interesting info - like how they handled the TTC right of way, which literally transects the site. Looks like they are transferring the loads from the tower and podium to a series of beams above the subway line...

AoD

It looks great. The glass faced portion of the podium would be a great place to put the old Sam the Record Man signs.

From www.twitter.com/urbanation

xmxwz

Looks alright but I think my proposal was sexier.:)

(I can already predict the aA-haters rants starting. Looking forward to reading their posts later tonight.:))

Last edited:
The twin condo towers on a huge crappy podium thing is getting very played out in this city. It's hard to stay positive about the new developments these days.

I am prefacing my two cents' worth here by firstly repeating myself - "these are not official renderings", and also "I am neutral on aA".

Having said that, I offer up two points:

1) What, no trees on Yonge? ####!!!.

2) If the original Yonge exterior of Eaton Centre had been designed like this podium, it would have been deemed "heritage" and untouchable by this point in time. I don't have such a problem with what I'm beholding in the picture, it foils what is on Yonge nicely, to be totally frank about it. But I am still so sorry to see no effort put toward integrating this development into the area immediately to the east; that is a shame.

What happened to "This is just a massing study" and "the final version will be different and sexy just you wait" etc etc etc. Its EXACTLY the same!

Yes, the massing study is indeed exactly the same as the massing study.

Even if the date isn't recent, that doesn't explain why you'd spend the money to make renders of a massing study (one of which focuses on the towers themselves). Are there other examples of this happening?

Clewes himself kept mentioning at the public meeting a few months ago that the podium design (including the depiction in the renderings someone posted as a pdf yesterday) was very preliminary.

Back