Haha, yes they are from Ice. But we don't know anyone living there and we feel that the CN Tower has a fairly decent vantage point for taking aerial shots, just wish it was a bit cheaper for urban enthusiasts who just want to go up for 30 mins.

Haha, yes they are from Ice. But we don't know anyone living there and we feel that the CN Tower has a fairly decent vantage point for taking aerial shots, just wish it was a bit cheaper for urban enthusiasts who just want to go up for 30 mins.

i have often wished getting up into the CN tower was cheaper for locals. I often want to go up quickly as well just for a look around at the skyline but the cost is rather punitive to do so repeatedly. Would be nice if they offered a repeat visit option that mostly only locals would take advantage of anyway as tourists are typically here for short periods.

That last pic really drives home how crazy this development wave has been in Toronto. That tiny lot squashed between a freeway and a parking garage would be a damn hard sell in most cities in north America!

If the development wave continues for a few more years we will likely see that parking garage get developed as well.

i have often wished getting up into the CN tower was cheaper for locals. I often want to go up quickly as well just for a look around at the skyline but the cost is rather punitive to do so repeatedly. Would be nice if they offered a repeat visit option that mostly only locals would take advantage of anyway as tourists are typically here for short periods.

They had a special rate that was advertised when I was living in CityPlace. I believe it was $10 to go up after 8pm. It was only really promoted to locals within the vicinity, and through their Facebook page.

Last edited:
From Tridel live camera

tenyorktridel.jpg

Attachments

• tenyorktridel.jpg
    tenyorktridel.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 1,528
That doesn't tell me anything about the construction. That only tells me that you are impatient, ignorant of how the cold affects construction, and have uninformed, unrealistic expectations.

I
This story, cited in the Relief Line thread several weeks ago, might partly explain what's happening here: http://spacing.ca/toronto/2014/10/03/torontos-swelling-bedrock.

That said, I don't think this work is taking particularly long.

I don't know, post# 1267 (page 85) was back in December of 2013 as excavation was just underway.

So it's been about 15 months - I don't know if that's normal or slow but it seems they haven't achieved a lot give it's been almost one and a half years.

Last edited:
I

I don't know, post# 1267 (page 85) was back in December of 2013 as excavation was just underway.

So it's been about 15 months - I don't know if that's normal or slow but it seems they haven't achieved a lot give it's been almost one and a half years.

The rule of thumb I have seen for a large project is a year to excavate (longer if the pit is unusually deep or difficult), and a year to rise back to ground level. They seem to be right where I would expect them to be after a year and three months.

I heard about these theories/facts on one of those idiotic "Water front cities of the world" episodes, that referred to us as "ice city". The geologist on the show explained that because the entire area was crushed under over a mile of ice, it pushed the ground down under the tremendous weight. Once the ice retreated, the land slowly rebounded, and continues to do so to this day. They claim most projects, after digging the foundation walls, must be left to settle. Once the ground stops moving, they can proceed with the construction. To not do so, could case any project to crumble before it's even topped out. That, combined with the coldest February in Toronto's history, has made for a very slow go with the multiple projects many of us are a little too impatient to see built. Think of things this way, would you rather wait a few extra months, and have a tower that will stand perfectly plum until the day it's torn down, or have the same tower get built months earlier, but it risk it crashing down a few days after completion? We must air on the side of caution, at least for the foundations, the windows in some of those newer towers? Well, that's another story that deserves its own thread.

Back