Yes, it's really Build Toronto that is pushing the fast-tracking. They want to show the city that they are getting results.

We can thank David Miller for that:)

Build Toronto announces 75-storey condominium

TORONTO — City-owned development agency Build Toronto announced Tuesday its first partnership will be with widely known developer Tridel, which will collaborate on a 75-storey, $295-million residential building in the downtown area.

The partnership, the first since the city established Build Toronto as an independent and self-funding real estate and development corporation, will develop the project at 10 York St. in the emerging Harbourfront neighbourhood.

The vacant site, bounded by the city's financial district, was formerly leased to the Toronto Parking Authority for a pay parking lot and to the Toronto Police Services for an impound lot.

The development will "change the city's skyline and link the downtown to its waterfront (and) will also enable Build Toronto to deliver a significant financial return, generate new jobs and property tax revenue and inject funds into the local community for further investment," the agency said in a release.

Tridel president Leo DelZotto said the site "offers the opportunity to create a condominium development that will be spectacular."

While the floor plans and suite layouts are still being finalized, Tridel and Build Toronto are committed to the principle of encouraging families to live in the downtown core.

As a result, the development will include three bedroom floor plans, or the possibility of converting suites from two to three bedrooms, they said

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...ndominium-111122/20111122/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Build Toronto and Tridel Announce $295 Million "City-Building" Partnership in Downtown Toronto
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/882...city-building-partnership-in-downtown-toronto

More from the Tridel website...........Ten York arriving 2012
Chic, timeless, sophisticated. TEN YORK is a glass vision in the sky designed by award-winning architect Rudy Wallman of Wallman Architects, creators of some of the most striking urban designs in the city. Signature designer suites by the ultra stylish design firm II BY IV Design Associates captivate with their imagination, elegance and timeless designs. The finest of features and finishes in the spacious suites will appeal to even the most discerning owners. An abundance of luxurious amenities make TEN YORK a charmed world unto itself. Prominently at the entrance to the city overlooking Lake Ontario. Key attractions are mere steps away – the Air Canada Centre, Maple Leaf Square, Rogers Centre and Harbourfront, with direct highway access to all parts of the city.
http://tridel.com/communities/tenyork/

Last edited:
The model looks really great. It's not a super outlandish design but it's very true to Toronto, so I'm going to put my support behind Wallman on this one. :)

I do hope, however, that at 90 Harbour we get something outlandish that will contrast with this project.

But yeah, the "lightboxes" that stick out from the tower look good, I hope they light up on their own accord. I think maybe the podium could be improved quite a bit, but I'll have to see more.

The larger, high-res renderings now make it clear that the "fins" shown on certain angles of the tower were never supposed to be fins at all, but the mechanical box. The pale colour of the mechanical box, and the extension of the tower's pinstripes up the box, create an illusion of fins. Interesting.

Sorry Ramako, but they are indeed fins. I'm not sure what it is that you are seeing that indicates otherwise.

We now have our front page story up as well, and of course, we go into more detail about the building than you normally find from other news outlets. Check it out here!

With that podium that juts out to the west, it looks more like L-Tower than L-Tower does now...

Sorry Ramako, but they are indeed fins. I'm not sure what it is that you are seeing that indicates otherwise.

I don't think I was very clear. Those definitely look like fins, but in previous renderings it looked as though the fins extended up over the top of the tower (e.g. Telus House), whereas in the high-res renderings it looks like the fins are simply covering the mechanical box, which looks almost translucent. Or am I totally wrong?

Anyone else notice how tall the ICE office component looks in the scale model?

If those strips really are lit up at night, this building will end up being a landmark at that location. It's just amazing how much it towers above ICE.

So much for that start date of 2015 as was mentioned when the renders first came out. Shovels in the ground Summer of 2013. Now we await what Menkes has in store next door.

For all the talk of this tower being "just another box", no one has seemed to notice that this thing is apparently five-sided a la MLS North:

urbantoronto-4127-12297.jpg

. It's just amazing how much it towers above ICE.

Unless they have not taken the height of the fins into account, this building at 249 meters will only be 15m/50ft. taller than the tallest building of Ice at 234 meters.
By the looks of it, the fins might actually increase the height by another 15-20 meters

WOW! this thing is gonna be so epic on the gardiner... it's right in the middle of it!. holy cow, this is going to be epic.

urbantoronto-4127-12298.jpg

though i'm still not completely sold on the design (i don't think it's very balanced), this is a city changer along with ICE. this will be a whole new area of downtown people won't see coming.

I like that the City and the developer realize the impact it will have on the skyline, and are working on a large LED display for the nighttime hours.

I don't think I was very clear. Those definitely look like fins, but in previous renderings it looked as though the fins extended up over the top of the tower (e.g. Telus House), whereas in the high-res renderings it looks like the fins are simply covering the mechanical box, which looks almost translucent. Or am I totally wrong?

Okay, much clearer! The fins will run from the base to the sky. The final cladding material for the mechanical box is still to be decided, but the intention is to have the crown fade into the sky during the daytime, and to act as a screen for a subtle light show at nighttime, recalling the Northern Lights as I mentioned in the article. Whether it will be sandblasted or fritted glass, or aluminum panelling, or something else entirely, is not known at the point.

All of this is coming to public attention earlier in the process than what happens with most building launches. My take is that Build Toronto wants a public presence, and to be known to be bringing money into the City's coffers, so they have pushed Tridel to release info sooner than they normally would for their buildings. While much is left to be decided, all parties seem to indicate they want this building to be a signature for them, a landmark. UrbanToronto will be watching like a hawk of course - that's all of us, not just us Headquarters types - so any move towards The Cheapening™ would be especially ill-advised here, and I assume therefore much less likely to happen. Everyone knows there's a lot riding on this project.

The CBC News reporter who was at the press conference has just reported that the tower would be Toronto's tallest condo "It will trump Trump, which only has 60 storeys". They clearly stated at the press conference that this would NOT be the tallest condo tower in Toronto. Do they not listen? Do they not review the footage they just took?

Back