It's definitely growing me. It's bold and pisses people off, which I think makes me like it more.

Alsop's table "pisses people off" because it is "bold". This "pisses people off" because it is an otherwise benign building that for some godforsaken reason is having its backside covered in a colour of spandrel that could only appeal to a very small number of people in their 50s who, when they see it, get nostalgic for the prom tux they wore back in the late 70s.

Bold architecture needs to satisfy people, not piss them off. Architecture is an aspect of culture, and culture should enrich peoples' lives.

What? I'm pissed off because I see this building every day! There are thousands of other cladding materials to cover a building in. If they're going to go for brick and spandrel, do it right. Eg: East Lofts on King East, the podium of those DD condos, Mozo. You think I like grey or black or beige? Hell no.

If they're going for the conservative look, a combo of Mozo red brick with precast spandrel panels would've looked better--but only if the general styling direction was more Richard Witt than those other guys at Quadrangle.

See ya:

20130323135813.jpg

Oh dear, such a dreary colour of brick - 70's dull brown...

Yeah, the cladding is thoroughly disappointing from the strange combination of spandrel colours to the boring choice of brick. I'm crossing my fingers that upon completion, it'll at least not be offensive. That's how low my expectations are at this point for this building.

I'm liking it. I think once all the brick is done the front will look great.

I'm on the top floor and just got my occupancy pushed back to Oct 9. My math says people would start to move in on the lower floors in the July/August range.

7 April 2013:
rps20130408025131132.jpg

I'm not an architecture / design / construction critic like many around here :) , and I don't have any major beefs about this project. But every time I walk by I notice that one panel of brick on the east side that looks like a slightly different shade than the others. You can even see it clearly in this photo.

Back