Because it appears to be one long, double height glass facade along Yonge and a large parking vestibule on Gloucester.

Perhaps the image is strategically taken from a bird's-eye view to avoid the inevitable criticism that will come when people realize what they have planned for Yonge Street.

Here's a snippet from the zoning amendment final report:

Require the owner to provide a setback along the Yonge Street frontage of a minimum width of 3 metres at the north end of the site and 2.8 metres at the south end of the site except in the location of the character building as described in 6.b.vii. and to design and construct an upgraded streetscape for Yonge Street, Gloucester Street and Dundonald Street along the frontage of the site including upgraded pavement treatment and landscaping in accordance with Vibrant Streets Design Guidelines to be secured through the site plan process;​

The elevation shows at least six retail doors along the Yonge Street frontage. Meanwhile, the rendering isn't well photoshopped into the cityscape: it eliminates the sidewalk entirely, so that, along with the lack of an east view across Yonge, would tell me not to read too much into it.

A nice, simple background structure. If all of our b-buildings could be this strong, we'd be that much better for it.

I agree with modernzt's likening to a Max Dudler, albeit with market-grade materials. I'll also join those who weren't entirely sold on the older, knife blade design.

Ugh totally disappointed that this is now aA.

While I was walking on Yonge the other day I realized that this is actually a pretty big site in terms of its presence on Yonge St... I guess the limestone portion will not extend the length of the block and the boring box part will.

Would like some clarification!

Does this site go all the way from Gloucester down to Dundonald?

Would this affect the BarVolo building :'(

In the rendering it appears that the building at the corner of Yonge & Dundonald will remain. Isn't that it, jutting out at the south end of the podium? And what relevance do the old HP site plans hold under aA's vision?

Last edited:
Would like some clarification!

Does this site go all the way from Gloucester down to Dundonald?

Would this affect the BarVolo building :'(

It does unfortunately. Details and site plan (for the old, HPA proposal) are available here: LINK.

Well… actually, the West Elevation in that linked Background File shows that the Bar Volo building is the retained "character building" as per my quote from the background file in post #167 above, so no, the Bar Volo building will not be going away.

Phew!

In the rendering it appears that the building at the corner of Yonge & Dundonald will remain. Isn't that it, jutting out at the south end of the podium? And what relevance do the old HP site plans hold under aA's vision?

So, yes, you're correct, that's it jutting out into the street. Bad rendering background! Bad background! Bad! (Yes, I'm talking to the rendering like it's a naughty little dog.)

In terms of the HPA plans, they steered the proposal through the zoning amendment process, but then the owner of the site (Stancorp, who are not developers) shopped it to Cresford, and they've brought in their own architect. aA will have to follow what was agreed to in the zoning amendment (ratified at the OMB), or they will have to pursue further zoning amendments. It's highly unlikely that the HPA plans triggered a Site Plan submission to the City, as it would not have been required to get the zoning amendment; aA would be the ones doing that.

Nothing happening on the site. Just thought I'd post this for context

Is the building directly beside the Mason's Hall being saved as well? It'd be nice to keep, just as a nice, older building. Much of this block would look quite nice cleaned up imo

Oh this is the site? I thought this was the block with the Masons building on it. Well nice to see I was wrong here lol

Back