Okay negative Nancy! We await the crash ;)

Great response there. I haven't mentioned anything in kind. I'm only providing a counter argument to those that have been predicting the future. The driving forces for much of this office space is real estate development and tech which is exactly the same as previous boom/busts.

Last edited:
I finally won't have to walk by a car park on my way to 10 Queens Quay West. I could cry. The fact that it's a superior design to all the other office towers (built and thus far proposed) south of the tracks just makes it even better. I'm not important, but I approve.

Great response there. I haven't mentioned anything in kind. I'm only providing a counter argument to those that have been predicting the future. The driving forces for much of this office space is real estate development and tech which is exactly the same as previous boom/busts.

Yes, eventually there will be a crash. No-one is disputing that. Below is the first post from the Baby, We got a Bubble?! thread in the Real Estate Forum in 2009

"I've been gung ho on the housing and especially the condo market in Toronto for about the last 6 years, but in the past few months I've seen some alarming trends that seriously suggest a massive bubble is being created that'll explode as soon as interest rates increase and/or the supply of condos goes through the roof in the next 17 months. The article below deals with some of the problem, but the 8% increase in home debt during a recession is also worrisome. What's your take?"

Actually, some are disputing a correction in office space as a possibility over the next 10 years. The basis of their argument is that Torontonians are seeking out an urban lifestyle. How does that matter? A correction in any number of key industries will effect office space across the entire region. Downtown Calgary didn't weather the storm any better than suburban Calgary when the hyped up energy commodities corrected themselves.

Making the case for Toronto specifically - its rising stock as a global city, its investments in transit, investments in AI, and macro-level phenomena like job churning, cowork spaces, more people being unable or choosing not to drive has added significant resiliency to its commercial market, especially downtown.

Of course a downturn will hurt, but more companies will keep their space even if their headcount drops, especially if they’re downtown or near transit. I suspect a downturn would actually encourage some of those sprawling 905 headquarters to move to a downtown office. The land they’re on has skyrocketed, the cost to run their own building over a LEED tower will keep growing, and they’re increasingly losing out on candidates who don’t drive. I’m not sure what IBM is up to, but wouldn’t be surprised to see them make a move.

Actually, some are disputing a correction in office space as a possibility over the next 10 years. The basis of their argument is that Torontonians are seeking out an urban lifestyle. How does that matter? A correction in any number of key industries will effect office space across the entire region. Downtown Calgary didn't weather the storm any better than suburban Calgary when the hyped up energy commodities corrected themselves.

Reactions: AHK
If it is anything along the lines of the Leadenhall building in London then it should look good:
122-Leadenhall-411-x-4.jpg

(http://jac-group.co.uk)

Fingers crossed that the glazing turns out more smokey-hued (like the renders) rather than bluegreygreen.
Oh, I will cry if it turns out in the same dreary bluegreygreen like the rest (90%) of what has gone up in the last decade and a half. That would be an aesthetic travesty.

When the City approved CIBC Square a bit further north on Bay they forced the developer to provide excavated space for an expansion of the Bay streetcar tunnel. It will be interesting to see if they try to do the same here. Having two - fairly large - blocks where there would be comparatively easy expansion possibilities should make the cost of re-building the whole tunnel a bit cheaper for the City.

Just catching up on news of the past week and seeing this for the first time. This looks splendid.

I hope it gets built as is. Perhaps some more colour would be neat on the exoskeleton, but I am loving the interior architecture and the interior colours.

For a number of reasons, related to both rent we're able to charge in a city like Toronto, but also the reticence of developers to pay for excellence, we will likely never see a building of that quality in this city.

If it is anything along the lines of the Leadenhall building in London then it should look good:
122-Leadenhall-411-x-4.jpg

(http://jac-group.co.uk)

Last edited:

Back