I don't see the point of worrying about what it looks like from a particular spot on the lake. There are so many vantage points from which to view the city. It's going to be fine.

The classic postcard skyline vista from the inner harbour is an icon of the city. The way new buildings affect that vista is something that every high-rise developer and its architects should carefully consider.

That skyline render gives a bad perception as CIBC square, One Yonge, the developments along bayside and whatever else is being built in the lower east side of downtown will fill up the empty space. Toronto will have a radically new postcard shot from the lake.

I don't see the point of worrying about what it looks like from a particular spot on the lake. There are so many vantage points from which to view the city. It's going to be fine.
It is jarring to see how the city's 80s, 90s and 2000s skyline - say with FCP, Scotia Plaza and Brooklfield Place being the dominant features - is disappeaing. Those formerly trademark buildings are now being totally obscured.

Yeah... the city is growing. You can't keep the lakefront static, period. Change is inevitable; the city will give birth to new "iconic" views. I just won't lose any sleep over it. Most cities would envy such problems.

Straw man argument. The idea is to change in attractive ways, not to keep the lakefront static.

It is jarring to see how the city's 80s, 90s and 2000s skyline - say with FCP, Scotia Plaza and Brooklfield Place being the dominant features - is disappeaing. Those formerly trademark buildings are now being totally obscured.
Fine. We lost sight of the Royal York and CC North a long time ago. The economic benefits of all these new buildings, and the pleasure of living in a dynamic and rapidly growing city, more than compensate for the change in view from the Island. I’m normally highly critical of Toronto here, so let me say something complimentary for a change. Toronto is change. Toronto is becoming. Relentless growth is our best feature, and people in most other cities would count themselves fortunate to enjoy our scale and pace of transformation. Bring it on, all of it.

Straw man argument. The idea is to change in attractive ways, not to keep the lakefront static.

True, but if that's the intent we should have done something ages ago given the quality of what had been built in the last decade. It's especially ironic given this proposal is probably the most architecturally minded project along that stretch of the waterfront.

AoD

At some point in a mega city's growth, it goes from being a 2D city to a 3D city, and I think The Hub covering up the traditional skyline would be that moment for Toronto. We no longer have to stack our buildings together in a row to look impressive. It is what it is. Bring on the chaos.

Straw man, pshaw man - how are we to agree on what is attractive in this city, anyway? A casual perusal of various threads on this site alone suggests that there's a multiplicity of ideas - often clashing ones - as to what constitutes an attractive building or cityscape. The general public must be fractured along similar lines.

The Hub's presence will not be the lynchpin in the destruction of Toronto's skyline.

I'm sorry to say but I don't like the massing on this design. RSH+p are excellent architects don't get me wrong, but a building with such lakeside prominence could be more eye catching than this. RSH+p are known for their iconic buildings why can't they do it here? 3 World Trade or The Leadenhall Building is more of the direction Oxford could take this project. A staggered or tapering roof line is far more interesting than another square top. Think Hancock, Shard, Leadenhall not an office building that looks like The One. C'mon Oxford you can do better than this!!!! RSH+p's website here https://www.rsh-p.com/projects/list/

Last edited:

Back