Can we just have a ban on the colour grey in Toronto developments. It's literally such a depressing colour, I dont know why we keep seeing it get spewed on almost every new build in this city.

I mean honestly, how hard is it to splash some red, or orange, or I dont know anything other than grey.

It's an investment vehicle. If you're worried about resale value, you don't buy a new BMW in yellow, you buy it in silver, grey or black. Same principle here.

It's an investment vehicle. If you're worried about resale value, you don't buy a new BMW in yellow, you buy it in silver, grey or black. Same principle here.
Except for the fact that we're talking about housing, and there's a scarcity of housing in the city. Which developers have been actively exploiting, so I dont think people would care much about if the building was red, or orange, etc..

Clearly there are many people who dont care if they live in/invest in, is the ugliest or cheapest buildings imaginable. If they did, developers like Concord or Marlin Spring wouldnt be in business. My point is, if there are that many people who dont care, would it really hurt to switch things up? Sure your cost of developing will go up very slightly, but it wouldnt be an earth-shattering increase in cost like these developers make it seem like it would be.

Except for the fact that we're talking about housing, and there's a scarcity of housing in the city. Which developers have been actively exploiting, so I dont think people would care much about if the building was red, or orange, etc..

Clearly there are many people who dont care if they live in/invest in, is the ugliest or cheapest buildings imaginable. If they did, developers like Concord or Marlin Spring wouldnt be in business. My point is, if there are that many people who dont care, would it really hurt to switch things up? Sure your cost of developing will go up very slightly, but it wouldnt be an earth-shattering increase in cost like these developers make it seem like it would be.
In a housing crisis, such as this one, it's not those in need purchasing housing. It's the continued exploitation of the working class by those who can afford staggering prices and who can then lease substandard units in boring or downright crappy buildings to those who can barely afford rent.

The largest wealth accumulator is housing. It's a system that started post-war in the United States with the GI Bill which only gave suburban loans to white veterans while red lining inner city, largely black, neighbourhoods. Those white families were able to accrue passive wealth through the increased values of their properties, then pass that wealth down to their children. Boomers to Millennials, Gen X to Gen Z. It's ingrained and it's systemic.

Really a house is only worth the value of the materials and labour put into it.

IMG_5214.JPG
IMG_5217.JPG
IMG_5216.JPG
IMG_5215.JPG

70 affordable housing units under construction near Kipling subway

Feds invest $73M, city offers $5.5M, developer incentives

Aug 14, 2020

Some 70 affordable housing units will be part of a 233-unit apartment building under construction near Kipling subway station.

On Friday, Ahmed Hussen, minister of families, children and social development, and minister responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, announced $73 million toward the construction of the 21-storey, mixed-use building at 5365 Dundas St. W.

Apartment units will range from bachelors to three-bedrooms.

-------

Those units will have guaranteed rents at or below 30 per cent of Toronto’s median household income.

1597496855873.png

It's amazing what blue skies and a few well placed trees/buildings can do for an otherwise bleak stretch of road. For a brief period I used to drive passed here and always dreaded it. Another 10+ years of development and this could actually be a pleasant place to be.

Back