I like it. Hope it gets built and that it stays pretty true to that render (not likely but one can always hope).

That view is already marred by ROCP. This would block it out and provide a more modern and neutral backdrop to Old City Hall than ROCP's ill-thought PoMo roof line.

Yes, my thoughts exactly, but that is not necessarily how things will turn out. I like this better as a backdrop than the disgusting RoCP, too.

No unifying principle. Pick one, even if it's asymmetric, and carry it from the podium all the way up. There are still SOME rules to the architecture racket, you know.

I just realized this, but after this will be built, there will only be 2 remaining parking lots on bay south of bloor. 45 bay, and the one on edward.

Still trying to decide whether I like this one. My biggest problem is that I feel it's trying too hard. "Hey! Look at me! I'm different!" Like goth kids with nose rings and blue nail polish.

I like it, especially the color. Bay street definitely need some color. The burano/muranos are boring me.

You guys are too hard to please. A box is too boxy, and something different is ”trying too hard". Among all the greyish highrises in downtown Toronto, something different like this definitely helps more than it hurts. I look forward to seeing more bold and less conservative designs like this, even at the risk of "trying too hard", better than staying in the comfort zone and not trying at all.

From the UK,s Skyscrapernews.com

Raw Colour Toronto Tower
Unlike many other cities around the Western world, the Canadian city of Toronto appears to be going through something of a building boom with another high rise proposal, this time located at the southeast corner of Bay and Gerrard.

The plot, which is currently a rather drab car park, is the last of the undeveloped prime downtown plots and is currently surrounded by a mix of old hotel, office and residential buildings.

The proposal, which comes from the pens of Toronto based architects Raw Design, will if built inject some much needed colour and life into the area. The 50-storey building is comprised of four box sections stacked seemingly randomly on top of one another
More......http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=3106

Still at proposal stage, it's not yet known when work on the colourful addition to the city could start, but with the way Toronto is booming and the small fact that this is such a prime plot, it is likely to be sooner than later.

Last edited:
I just can't quite decide if this one is inspired or insane.

Have we become so conservative that just a little bit of colour is enough to label a building "insane"? Oh yeah, I forgot that anything in Toronto that isn't grey, is considered radical and probably build by an anarchist.

In the end it will all be about execution and choice of materials, but I love what I see... Very bold and northern European looking... Should be gorgeous (in an insane sorta way) if approved...

Back