Occupancy

I'm told September 2011 but that seems like a bit of a strech to me.

I'm anticipating the first tenents moving in at the beginning of next year and the last tenents by end of next year. Anyone think otherwise?

I am hoping Sept 2011 still .. it doesn't seem like a stretch really as they are working on floor 6 right now, and I think that the building is only 17 floors.

Agreed JayBee ... judging from the progress plus interior renovations, I project first occupancies in June/July 2012

Is this construction unusally slow for a condo (from when it started, not the extra year+ delay before construction started) ?

How quick are other buildings built?

Just curious as the guesstimation of 18 months to build 11 more storeys and do interior.

Every building is different. Different size excavations, floor plates, workforces, number of cranes...

Is this construction unusally slow for a condo (from when it started, not the extra year+ delay before construction started) ?

How quick are other buildings built?

Just curious as the guesstimation of 18 months to build 11 more storeys and do interior.

Just reading some of the old posts in this thread...this building has taken very long. 2 years ago people were predicting that the building would be built already. I think it's at least a year away.

The King-Parliament area, like the King-Spadina area, continues to grow in leaps and bounds... albeit a little beyond UrbanToronto's constant gaze. One of the larger condo projects currently underway in the area is The Modern by Empire Communities, located at the northeast corner of Richmond and Sherbourne streets. The 17-storey, 343-unit building was first designed by DTAH Architects for Cityview Development Corporation. After Cityview sold the project to Empire, EI Richmond Architects were retained to tweak the design somewhat. Currently only 3 units are left for sale.

ModernCityscape.jpg

We popped by recently, and got these two shots. The focus is on the portion of the tower - the second through fourth floors - which parallels the adjacent stretch of Sherbourne. Higher floors, which form the great bulk of the building, run, in contrast, perpendicularly north from the Richmond Street frontage. The resulting angle looks to bring some dynamism to way the project meets the street. The ground floor will feature nearly 11,000 square feet of street-front retail.

ModernP1200633.jpg

ModernP1200634.jpg

We have a few views inside the building, starting with The Modern's lobby.

ModernLobby750.jpg

The Party Room.

ModernPartyRoom750.jpg

Let's head to the roof deck.

ModernRoofTop750.jpg

There's a hot tub with a view.

ModernRoofTopPool750.jpg

And places to relax or dine.

ModernRoofTopDining750.jpg

Plus a barbecue where you can cook your dinner. It seems to be having a bit of a flare-up. Kids...

ModernRoofTopBBQ750.jpg

Last edited:
This project will definitely help the neighborhood. Living across, it would be great seeing a starbucks or/and a bank moving in this building. One retail unit is already sold.

Agreed: it's a very smart touch.

Back