And honestly, for all those who cheered what Sam Mizrahi did, this is the consequence imo. One individual's desire to avoid bureaucratic tangles has resulted in a headache for all involved. Whether or not Stollery's was worth saving (and most would agree it wasn't), Mizrahi has now forced the city's hand and made life difficult for everyone between College and Davenport. Sometimes patience and respect for others goes a long way, no?

I wouldn't necessarily lay this on Mizrahi though, the HCD has been in the works for awhile independent his actions. Perhaps the one thing it will bring is clear(er) rules of engagement for the stretch.

While there are other projects planned along here, were any other teardowns imminent? Not that I'm aware of. This bylaw just means that there will be no surprises for the next while.

Not a teardown per se, but I think the Scientology building would be included. That and perhaps the Shoppers on Charles?

AoD

Well i feel for the owners of these borderline heritage sites, that once designated will never get their moneys worth for the bldgs.

I personally know that in the case of the Queen St strech from Spadina to Bathurst, I can purchase as many designated heritage bldgs in the 1.8 - 2.5 million dollar range, while non designated ones go for 1 million more

Let's not be ridiculous and presume that the intent of the HCD is to preserve structures such as 501 Yonge. Think of it as assisting the preservation and restoration of strips such as the 5ive instead.

AoD

of course I was kidding, but the one year freeze seems excessive. If those experts know anything about heritage, a month should be enough for them to decide what buildings are worth saving. In fact, half of UT members probably could make a wise decision within that timeframe.

one year, seriously? are they going to produce one of those 500 page "reports" again? as if we need more reports on anything.

of course I was kidding, but the one year freeze seems excessive. If those experts know anything about heritage, a month should be enough for them to decide what buildings are worth saving. In fact, half of UT members probably could make a wise decision within that timeframe.

one year, seriously? are they going to produce one of those 500 page "reports" again? as if we need more reports on anything.

Troll alert

Well i feel for the owners of these borderline heritage sites, that once designated will never get their moneys worth for the bldgs.

I personally know that in the case of the Queen St strech from Spadina to Bathurst, I can purchase as many designated heritage bldgs in the 1.8 - 2.5 million dollar range, while non designated ones go for 1 million more

Things are way too easy in Toronto which is supported by those land assemblers and developers paying way too much for property. Those that do can stand to lose a little for the sake of adding value to communities through development which many developers already prescribe to.

I wouldn't necessarily lay this on Mizrahi though, the HCD has been in the works for awhile independent his actions. Perhaps the one thing it will bring is clear(er) rules of engagement for the stretch.

AoD

Right, the HCD has been in the works for quite a while, but this is the first time I can remember the City using the Ontario Heritage Act to freeze demolition for a year. I've had a few talks with staff at the City and they suggested the Stollerys demolition played a larger role in this than some may expect. Stollerys is actually mentioned in the designation bylaw report:

The recent demolition of 1 Bloor Street West (Stollerys) illustrates the inadequate level
of existing heritage protection for properties that are not listed or designated within an
HCD study area.
Since that demolition three more demolition permits have been applied
for within the study area and two have been released. The third, a listed building, can
only be protected from demolition if heritage staff can research and evaluate the property
for Part IV designation, and report to the Toronto Preservation Board and City Council,
within 60 days of the owner supplying all the required materials accompanying a notice
of intention to demolish a listed building. The practical reality of this is that staff time
and resources will have to be redirected from planned studies to emergency reviews.

Without a study area by-law designation for Historic Yonge Street the City cannot
proactively protect potential heritage properties in a timely manner as there is insufficient
time to evaluate all of the properties at risk.

Demolitions and exterior alterations should be prohibited for a period of one year within
the study area boundary. This will provide City Planning staff sufficient time to complete
the study. Staff will report to the Toronto Preservation Board, Toronto and East York
Community Council and City Council on the findings of the Historic Yonge Street
Heritage Conservation District Study prior to conclusion of the one year study period

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/mm/bgrd/backgroundfile-76310.pdf

Well I hope they aren't shooting themselves in the foot here. Delays and hold ups mean that people lose interest and go elsewhere. Some of these projects are good, and incorporate the heritage structures. If they are on hold too long though nothing could happen and then the city gets stuck with a bunch of crumbling buildings on a main artery while developers put money in elsewhere.

Hopefully at this point enough is invested that a year doesn't change much.

There is reason to be positive about it though:
a) The One and One Bloor are likely going to have an enormous effect on retail spaces and real estate values down Yonge from Bloor.
b) The (hopefully imminent) success of 5ive will prove that the model of restoring heritage and adding heigh/density is effective and desirable, not just from a heritage pov but from a commercial/real estate pov too.

There is reason to be positive about it though:
a) The One and One Bloor are likely going to have an enormous effect on retail spaces and real estate values down Yonge from Bloor.
b) The (hopefully imminent) success of 5ive will prove that the model of restoring heritage and adding heigh/density is effective and desirable, not just from a heritage pov but from a commercial/real estate pov too.

I wouldn't worry too much about it either - the locational advantage of Yonge won't be going away any time soon. As to holding onto crumbling heritage structures - I thought that's exactly what we've had for the past 50 years. Another year won't hurt.

AoD

As to holding onto crumbling heritage structures - I thought that's exactly what we've had for the past 50 years. Another year won't hurt.

AoD

Right, not at all
its not like the city has a great reputation of subsidizing work on heritage designated bldgs. therefore what ever comes out of this, wont stop another 50 years of crumbling heritage structures

Right, not at all
its not like the city has a great reputation of subsidizing work on heritage designated bldgs. therefore what ever comes out of this, wont stop another 50 years of crumbling heritage structures
This!

There are so many building currently designated that are just rotting... this does nothing for the preservation of our heritage buildings.

All this heritage designation by the city is such bull.... In Europe and in particular where my family is originally from, the government both local and national provides programs to to aid in the restoration of heritage buildings that can be hundreds of years old! My grandparents home is almost 900 years old and my parents received a grant about ten years ago to restore the roof structure and outer stone walls. Here they want to designate structures as historical yet it's up to the current owners or those investing on the property to float the total cost, which could be incredibly high!! Government just wants to pretend they give a crap as long as anyone but them...pays for it...

But, there are programs here. Stronger heritage preservation laws would encourage may more owners to use them. Right now, it's all about flipping to a developer.

Last edited:
But, there are programs here. Stronger heritage preservation laws would encourage may more owners to use them.

lol:D.....Toronto Heritage Grant Program http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=70c752cc66061410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD
The Toronto Heritage Grant Program provides grant funds of up to $10,000 or 50% of the estimated cost of eligible heritage conservation work to designated heritage properties.
Only properties designated under Part IV or contributing properties under Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act and located in the City of Toronto are eligible for grant funding from the Toronto Heritage Grant Program

Up to $10,000, thats peanuts

Back