Manulife is pure Concrete Toronto. If you ever see something like that in Manhattan, you can say it's pleasantly Toronto: the city with powerful Modernism on its skyline.

My view

My view of the Uptown:

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 324
Very cool shot Pearpenguin - the best yet to show Uptown's shape!

Thanks interchange42. If the proposed tower goes up to the east side of Casa then I will lose much of my Uptown view. I think One Bloor is going to take away the chunk of sky between Uptown and BSN also. But I don't mind. I enjoy watching the changes.

I totally agree! Really insane shot of Uptown! It's hard to capture the whole building from angles but you are lucky with your view! Uptown looks classy in that shot especially with the greenery in front of it (as seen in the shot :))

YAAAAY! :D !!!

Thanks for the pic urbandreamer! I guess Uptown is now the 2nd (or 3rd) tallest skyscraper in Yorkville now! Uptown IS the centerpiece of this view until 1Bloor and Four Seasons rise... Uptown just looks pure awesome! What a huge difference one tower can make on the skyline (look at the huge gap left before)

Okay. It's growing on me. The setbacks are doing the trick. Looks good from afar and in full sun. Up close and on overcast days is another story. It's unfortunate that the quality of materials isn't higher and that the surface treatment is so flat. Still seems like a cop-out and cheap-out to me given the price-point and location but I'm keeping an open mind and hoping for the best.

Uptown's about even with or slightly above the cibc tower:

Amazing. Uptown will be the city's 26th tallest. And the CIBC is the 39th.
Yet the difference is only 14 meters.
Lots of buildings in that 150 to 160 meter range.

did a bit of walking in the Yonge/Bloor area tonight, and must admit, Uptown is looking pretty impressive, looming in the dark.....the close proximity to Crystal Blue makes it look even taller somehow...

How insulted the GE Building would be, if it knew it was being compared to Uptown.

LOL...true this is no GE Building, just somewhat reminiscent of the 30 rock in terms of massing. GE is a huge slab but from the end view there is some similarities (maybe the inspiration for Uptown) Too bad the cladding wasnt better quality...this is the real issue, you would think in this day and age that they could replicate limestone. Instead we get off white concrete...however, from a distance the building looks pretty good, and they did a great job of integrating the balconies.

How insulted the GE Building would be, if it knew it was being compared to Uptown.

I typed out basically the same thing but decided to withhold. Short of setbacks with both buildings I don't see any other similarities.

Back