I like this project too. I have one concern however. If I was to be an owner (and I won't be), I would not be happy to have an East or West view that would be blocked by the Aluminum or whatever material is there crossing in front of me. On some of these units, the view will be clear. On others, you will be quite obstructed. Can you imagine having the unit where the X is near the top of the building. That would be a huge visual obstruction I would think.

I don't know what the floor plans are, but I suspect that the main views of all suites are either north or south views. I'm going to guess here and say that no suite will have an exclusive western view. The actual plans may show otherwise.

I think it's worth a visit to the site to get an idea on just how small a footprint this tower will have. A considerable portion of the lot is given over to the courtyard. This will be a much more trim building than, for example, the nearby Lightbox.

you are correct gristle ... according to the floorplans shown on this website, units are primarily oriented to the north or south ... however the east and west elevation will be a window wall as well for the corner suites (like a typical condo), in some cases bedrooms, kitchens, or hallways ... but it would sure suck to be living in a suite bedroom where the exterior banding crosses ~

http://www.menelikfernandes.com/developments/theatre-park/

Wow, I must say alot of the floor plans are a huge disappointment.

I also wonder about pricing. The smallest studio no balcony is 329 sq. ft. and is presumably the $299,900 condo. That is $912/sq.ft. I realize studios are the most expensive but I thought someone was saying that prices would be in the low $600's/sq.ft.

Does anyone have a price list and what is the range of cost/foot and what is the median. I assume the 2 bedrooms are cheaper but I am guessing the price point in this building will be an average of $800-$850/sq.ft.

Wow, I must say alot of the floor plans are a huge disappointment.

I also wonder about pricing. The smallest studio no balcony is 329 sq. ft. and is presumably the $299,900 condo. That is $912/sq.ft. I realize studios are the most expensive but I thought someone was saying that prices would be in the low $600's/sq.ft.

Does anyone have a price list and what is the range of cost/foot and what is the median. I assume the 2 bedrooms are cheaper but I am guessing the price point in this building will be an average of $800-$850/sq.ft.

I think the studio is $220K
The 1 bedroom 450sqft unit is $300K
The 550sqft 1 bedroom is either $320 or $340.

I think the studio is $220K
The 1 bedroom 450sqft unit is $300K
The 550sqft 1 bedroom is either $320 or $340.

That would make more sense and in keeping with the $600's/sq.ft. price point.
I just based it on the the web site that Solaris pointed out that said prices started at $299,900. Maybe despite it saying prices "from $299,900" they added the studios after and were referring to 1 bedrooms.

it would sure suck to be living in a suite bedroom where the exterior banding crosses

I don't think that a partial diagonal band across your windows is a reason for automatic suckage: it may actually create (potentially very) interestingly framed views. Any buyer, however, should be shown exactly what the view would be from their windows. Depending on the effect, the may prefer to be on certain floors over others.

I don't think that a partial diagonal band across your windows is a reason for automatic suckage: it may actually create (potentially very) interestingly framed views. Any buyer, however, should be shown exactly what the view would be from their windows. Depending on the effect, the may prefer to be on certain floors over others.

I agree the buyer should be aware. Some of these diagonal bands look quite wide though and would be a visual obstruction. An X across my window would certainly not be something I would want. That is however, a personal view. But while I may not phrase it as strongly as Solaris did, I think it is a stretch for the majority of buyers to think people would view partial obstruction of views as "interestingly framed".

In my view 42 that sounds a bit like something I would expect the developers marketing team to say trying to represent a negative as a positive.

If you've ever been up in certain suites in Chicago's John Hancock tower, you'll know that the cross braces can make for interesting views, no marketing hype required. I think some of those suites are are even the more sought after ones, like owning one is a badge of honour, and something that tells the viewer distinctively which building they are viewing the city from.

Anyone who doesn't want diagonal bands across their windows should simply not buy a unit in this building that will be affected. Simple as that.

If you've ever been up in certain suites in Chicago's John Hancock tower, you'll know that the cross braces can make for interesting views, no marketing hype required. I think some of those suites are are even the more sought after ones, like owning one is a badge of honour, and something that tells the viewer distinctively which building they are viewing the city from.

Anyone who doesn't want diagonal bands across their windows should simply not buy a unit in this building that will be affected. Simple as that.42

Agree

That's actually a great idea. You should suggest that to aA.

Great idea UD
Ask the developer for a cut of the increase in value for the unfettered views.
Don't hold your breath however.

There's a 450 sqft unit. I think the layout's pretty good. I have a friend who's interested in purchasing for investment purposes. It's $300K.

This building will probably take 5 years to build. The market should most likely be more stable by then as well. I think this building will hold its value. What do you guys think?

http://www.menelikfernandes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/1br.pdf

Last edited:
It is interesting to note that the floorplate is only 450sqm - that would be about one of the smallest floorplates for any high-rise in the city.

Also of note, at the council meeting where the settlement was approved (and the OMB has since approved councils settlement at a Nov 5th hearing) council voted to designate six buildings on the same block at the Theatre Park project under the Ontario Heritage Act (212, 220, 266, 276, 284 & 322 King Street West)

Lastly the $1m sec 37 contribution will either go towards a King Street West Heritage Conservation District study, John Street streetscape improvements or public housing.

224king.jpg

Last edited:
Using fritted glass for the diagonal ribbons may not be visually strong enough to be noticable design statement, especially in certain light.

The floorplan and features are now online on the Theatre Park website: www.theatrepark.ca

Back