Theatre Park's east and west façade will be clad either in window wall running continuously behind a steel lattice anchored to the building or curtain wall with the lattice as fritted glass embedded in the glazing system. A decision on this will be made within the next three months.

lol... gee, I wonder which one they'll choose.

Fritted glass will be a huge mistake.
It will not be anywhere near the same impact as solid steel lattice work.

The solid lattice work will probably be incorporated into the glazing (having it sit outboard of the glazing will present maintanence issues) which will add a lot more cost and complexity as the glass will be interrupted by the lattice.
I find it strange to see large gaps of the lattice where it turns the corners at the balconies. It would be nice to be seemless.

Overall it's a gorgeous project. I love the amenity spaces and the court that is formed in front of the building (reminds me of some towers in NYC). There are some weirdness going on with the floorplans, but I would love to live there and it will be a great addition to the city.

There's no doubt that the steel latice would be more expensive to build, maintain and clean. Additionally, using fritted glass will ensure that no views are blocked. I can't see any reason why they would opt for the steel other than external aesthetics and architectural integrity, but that's no doubt the last consideration on their list. My guess is that they've already made their decision but are still representing the building with the steel lattice to make their marketing material more attractive.... kind of a bait and switch.

Theatre Park's east and west façade will be clad either in window wall running continuously behind a steel lattice anchored to the building or curtain wall with the lattice as fritted glass embedded in the glazing system. A decision on this will be made within the next three months.

I'll be seeking a pay cheque from BJL and aA for stealing my idea! $1 PSF of buildable space? re: my post #370:

B-b-b-b-ut maybe, the diagonal bands are made of fritted glass like on the Bell Lightbox, so you can still see out of them clearly?

(Or a plaque with my name and idea on it. UT folks that hate me, imagine walking down King St and staring at me "urbandreamer" in the reflecting pool?!:D)

To BJL and aA crew: pm me I have the solution to your building!

Last edited:
Nice development, i counted 20 hi-rise projects in that strech of the entertainment section that are either under costruction or in sales mode and most likely to get build..Insane, i vision that area in 5 years to be just as dense in buildings as CityPlace.

I don't suppose anyonr could put them on a map. Frankly, I know and read about many of these projects but don't know where they will be located.

The rendering shows the steel lattice floating about 6 inches away from the facade.
It will definitely be more feasible if it were incorporated into the glazing system, but protrude 6 inches more than the mullion caps of the glazing to give it more dimension.
Given the amount of glazing on the building, adding the lattice work would only obscure just a tiny portion of the view. I personally think it will add more interest to the interior of the units.

This is an extreme example, Leibskind's Museum Residences in Denver (not the greatest example):
denverartresidences.jpg

that's a great example. seeing this makes me think that the steel lattice could actually be done well without blocking too much of the view and/or sun light penetration into the units. I was initially skeptical and leaning towards the the fritted glass as the only good option.

Interesting grab-bag of Toronto towers in the background.

A jumble of rearranged Financial District towers with Fashion District Lofts and The Morgan transplanted all the way from the Entertainment District.

I think, from that angle, swimmers would get an eyeful of Sunlife Tower or Shangri-La in reality, no?

just googling around, found this slightly different render at blogto.......don't see how they could do fritted glass on the lower floors, when the roof element would have to be steel...

20101120%20-%20Theatre%20Park%20Top%20of%20Tower.jpg

Here's my concept for the tower:

1)Fritted glass on the balconies, with aluminum or steel panels on the east and west elevations.

or

2)Fritted glass on the balconies, with fritted glass panels mounted off the east and west elevations, ie a gap between the glass curtainwall and the fritted glass panels, with supports mounted from the cw/frames. A 2" or a 6" gap between the window/curtain wall and the fritted glass panels?

or

3)Cheaper than fritted glass, translucent plastic panels or clear plastic panels with some white film or whatever built in.

4)Keep the vision of the original design without the vision, ie, steel or aluminum bands!

Last edited:
I'll be seeking a pay cheque from BJL and aA for stealing my idea! $1 PSF of buildable space? re: my post #370:

(Or a plaque with my name and idea on it. UT folks that hate me, imagine walking down King St and staring at me "urbandreamer" in the reflecting pool?!:D)

To BJL and aA crew: pm me I have the solution to your building!

LOL, UD. I already beat you to this in my post #356
I'm curious to know if the bands are precast or some kind of frosted glass ala TIFF's balconies. At least that way light could still pass through and into the residential units.

Back