I'm sorry I know I'm contributing to the OT here but its funny how some people here are calling a very heralded artist untalented. I get it, its human nature to undermine something they don't prefer or understand when others do. You get upset because so many people enjoy this persons music but you yourself don't so you try to take away from it. This is exactly one of the reasons why Kanye West is so popular among people these days. He's continually bashed by people who try to undermine him for what he does. Yet he still continues to fill stadiums and sell multi platinum records. I think back in the day when you guys were fans of Elvis your parents were trying to undermine his talent only because they're children were not listening to music that quite frankly, they thought was how music should sound.

The purpose of the Pan Am games was to give us recognition as a potential Olympic location. There isn't many artists in the world that would fill a stadium as quick as Kanye would.

Back on topic now:

I think we should get a permanent colorful signage at Nathan Phillips because it does give the square some life. Also I think we should experiment with similar temporary signs at landmark locations and see how they are accepted by the public first before they have a permanent arrangement made. I know this is the more expensive route but I think it's important to get these things right. It may seem like something small but it definitely has a HUGE impact not only on tourists but on existing residents who are proud to be from their city and want to express that over the internet.

Of course there is a need to be touchy and defensive when grumpy old men try and take away (i.e. steal) from the opinions and ideas of young professionals. I don't let them get away with it at work, so why on earth would I let someone on here get away with it? I think a better post would be, why would someone write "no need to be so touchy" as if they are the calm voice of reason? Gimme a break Dad lol! Oh, wait, I already have a Dad thank you very much...

I really don't know what you're on about. Maybe I've missed some part of an earlier conversation?

I think it would be a good idea to have one at each pre-amalgamation city hall/public square that matters. I am sure you'd get some local killjoy saying they don't want big bad Toronto giving their hood some colour though.

AoD

I don't know about the other ex-city halls, but I'm not sure that would work very well at East York, AoD. Maybe in the NE corner of the park, by Coxwell, but it'd feel very 'out of context' in the formal garden/path/summer food market central place or anywhere on the south, west, or north sides. Alas, it's just too modern for that surburban blandness of a building.

Nathan Phillips Square has been wonderful during the Pan-Am Games. I have talked to more people in the last 2 weeks (from all over the world & Toronto) than I have in the last 3 years. I just love that atmosphere and friendly vibe. I don't want it to come to an end. The square feels so animated and full of life, all the time. I've really enjoyed these games.

I've always wanted to know what those lines are that cross over the fountains.
Those are to dissuade seagulls from spending time there; they hate flying into the wires, so it mostly keeps them away.

Back