Nathan Phillips Square has been wonderful during the Pan-Am Games. I have talked to more people in the last 2 weeks (from all over the world & Toronto) than I have in the last 3 years. I just love that atmosphere and friendly vibe. I don't want it to come to an end. The square feels so animated and full of life, all the time. I've really enjoyed these games.

I can only agree. I've visited a few times during PanAm and it's been a great experience. I caught "Trombone Shorty" at NPS / Panamania last night, what a great performance. Must say that I was thunderstruck at the tasteful use of the square by the PanAm people vs. the junky look that the Jazz festival always imports to NPS. The jazz folks (as much as I love them) should take a cue from this PanAm layout for the square. In fact, I'll tell them that.

Someone mentioned that Simpson Tower lighting is back on; can someone take a pic of this please?
Not the best photo BUT it's not the best lighting either "->
DSCN6122.JPG

Thanks. It appears that only the bottom row is lit. Hopefully they're still working on this and will return it to its original state.

Thanks. It appears that only the bottom row is lit. Hopefully they're still working on this and will return it to its original state.
As noted on the Simpson Tower Lighting thread, the lights were worse last night (Sunday) when only a section of the west side was lit. A work in progress or an example of another lighting failure?

Attachments

• DSC_0492.jpg
    DSC_0492.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0495.jpg
    DSC_0495.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_0509-4.jpg
    DSC_0509-4.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_0521.jpg
    DSC_0521.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_0542.jpg
    DSC_0542.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
I could understand why some people might disagree, but the sign in front of City Hall looks like it just belongs there. It's also nice to see the city and the people in it being a little bold and displaying some civic pride rather than nitpicking as they so often do.

I could understand why some people might disagree, but the sign in front of City Hall looks like it just belongs there. It's also nice to see the city and the people in it being a little bold and displaying some civic pride rather than nitpicking as they so often do.

Indeed - we have developed such a culture of "no". Can you imagine the city taking a risk like building the new city hall now with that kind of attitude? It's well worth the money to break ourselves out of that mould.

AoD

Here's how the fireworks looked from a certain rooftop in Leslieville:

DSC04016.jpg
DSC04021.jpg
DSC04025.jpg
DSC04028.jpg
DSC04032.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04016.jpg
    DSC04016.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 1,564
  • DSC04021.jpg
    DSC04021.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 1,570
  • DSC04025.jpg
    DSC04025.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 1,574
  • DSC04028.jpg
    DSC04028.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 1,576
  • DSC04032.jpg
    DSC04032.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 1,555
Indeed - we have developed such a culture of "no". Can you imagine the city taking a risk like building the new city hall now with that kind of attitude? It's well worth the money to break ourselves out of that mould.

AoD

Can you imagine the "TORONTO" sign in front of this "City Hall" building, that was rejected for the one we have now?
Imperial_Oil_Building.JPG

Back