It's interesting to see people walking through the pool. I don't think I've seen that before. Is that something that has been officially sanctioned?

It's interesting to see people walking through the pool. I don't think I've seen that before. Is that something that has been officially sanctioned?

It's not allowed but officials and police look the other way during hot days like these.

I'd love to see the reflecting pool reconfigured to be under an inch deep like Crown Fountain in Chicago's Millennium Park.

15353850968_52c2a3e3a7_b.jpg

It allows for people to "walk on water" and not get wet — unless they want to splash around.

I also saw it happen after the Pan Am fireworks too, when it wasn't at all hot outside. I suspect we'll see this whenever it's really hot out or there are large crowds.

I'd love to see the reflecting pool reconfigured to be under an inch deep like Crown Fountain in Chicago's Millennium Park.

Mississauga did the same thing to the fountain at City Hall. It used to be like the one at NPS, but they turned it into a shallow reflecting pool instead and opened it up so people could walk through and play in it.

Rob Ford actually proposed to do the same thing at NPS after his trip to Edmonton.

Mississauga did the same thing to the fountain at City Hall. It used to be like the one at NPS, but they turned it into a shallow reflecting pool instead and opened it up so people could walk through and play in it.

Rob Ford actually proposed to do the same thing at NPS after his trip to Edmonton.

It could really work well at Nathan Phillips Square. People could walk under the arches which is a nice perspective only skaters see in the winter. Speaking of which, we'd have to make it so that ours could still be used as a rink.

It could really work well at Nathan Phillips Square. People could walk under the arches which is a nice perspective only skaters see in the winter. Speaking of which, we'd have to make it so that ours could still be used as a rink.

Mississauga's is still used as a rink in the winter too, so shouldn't be too difficult!

This sign is a great addition to the square and I hope it stays right where it is now.

everyone I know loves the new sign. Why can't we keep it there? It is in front of the city hall, the prefect place to be.
I don't care about the original design of the square (which means cold and bland I suppose to convey some architectural idea), but the signs add colour and life to the square and makes the place a lot more inviting.
Can I say NPS should hold more events? Free movies Saturday night in the summer for example. We should do everything we can to attract people to this otherwise largely underutilized public space.

BTW, the crown fountain is so cool. I wish Toronto came up with something interesting like that, not the usual tree + concrete + benches combination everywhere, yawn.

BTW, the crown fountain is so cool. I wish Toronto came up with something interesting like that, not the usual tree + concrete + benches combination everywhere, yawn.

I would actually like to have something interactive like that at the future park where the York offramps will be - it will be a great draw southward to the lake.

AoD

I would actually like to have something interactive like that at the future park where the York offramps will be - it will be a great draw southward to the lake.

AoD

Waterfront Toronto replied to my tweet some time ago regarding the lack of interactive water features on the waterfront. Queens Quay is such a tease with beaches and wave decks that almost — almost! — dip into the water but there is no opportunity to touch it. They insinuated that HTO Park North would address that. I'd like to see a giant granite wall covering the Gardiner and Lake Shore with water falling down onto a splash pad like Crown Fountain. Some LED or other light art could make it interesting at night.

To get back on topic with Nathan Phillips Sq, I think that it would be pretty straightforward to raise the floor of the reflecting pool to allow people to walk across as if they're walking on water. If I recall correctly, the repairs to the fountain were temporary and a full rebuild is coming after the PanAm Games are over.

^^ H2O Park North? I haven't heard of that. Is it seriously in the works? I haven't seen or read anything about it on the Waterfront Toronto web site.

Waterfront Toronto replied to my tweet some time ago regarding the lack of interactive water features on the waterfront. Queens Quay is such a tease with beaches and wave decks that almost — almost! — dip into the water but there is no opportunity to touch it. They insinuated that HTO Park North would address that. I'd like to see a giant granite wall covering the Gardiner and Lake Shore with water falling down onto a splash pad like Crown Fountain. Some LED or other light art could make it interesting at night.

To get back on topic with Nathan Phillips Sq, I think that it would be pretty straightforward to raise the floor of the reflecting pool to allow people to walk across as if they're walking on water. If I recall correctly, the repairs to the fountain were temporary and a full rebuild is coming after the PanAm Games are over.
I don't think you want to touch the water in the inner harbour; it is filthy.

Last I heard, it's unfunded and hasn't even been designed yet but the space is reserved for a north extension of HTO Park.

If Waterfront Toronto gets a new round of funding or at least the ability to go into debt to finance future projects, we're going to see a lot of activity on bridges, more wave decks, the foot of Yonge Street, an eastern expansion of Queens Quay and the remaining parks (HTO Park North, York Street) on the central waterfront.

Back