I don't think you want to touch the water in the inner harbour; it is filthy.

The long term goal of the new central waterfront revitalization is to make the harbour swimmable. All of the years of construction on Queens Quay (before the final cosmetic improvements) went toward rebuilding infrastructure to limit water runoff from the city into the lake. This alone will make a major difference in the quality of the water in the lake going forward.

Additionally, the practical purpose of the wave decks are to install living ecosystems under each one that will naturally clean the water closest to the shore. They're not just fun cosmetic additions, they're actually functional. That large maple leaf in the West8/DTAH proposal worked on the same principle and while not adopted as part of the official plan, has at times been considered and may still be in the future.

Once all the parts are in place, we're going to start seeing finger piers jutting out into the lake where people can dive off of into the water. It's hard to believe because all of our lives we were told we'd grow 8 eyes if we touched the water. A new generation won't have such fears.

I didn't know about the ecosystems under the wave decks. Do you have any more info on them?

Aquatic habitats.

Several of them have been installed throughout the waterfront. All of the wavedecks have them.

5 species of fish were found in the inner harbour in 2001. As of now, there are 27 species of fish. It's working.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Nathan Phillips Square

11898762_10153293584063813_4959830289179785794_n.jpg

While I loved having the PanAm Games in Toronto, I'm looking forward to when the guests leave and we clean up after the party.

This will be the first time that the new Peace Garden is open without the obstructions from the backstage of Panamania. I hope that we get some use from the water jets in the waning days of Summer. I'm also looking forward to the remaining items in the NPS revitalization beginning construction this fall. New furniture is expected to arrive as early as next month.

Panamania at NPS was great. We need to find a way to bring similar programming to NPS every year. This is the perfect way to utilize the space.

Good point! I definitely made use of them during fireworks one night.

There is clearly a hunger in the city for these kinds of mass gatherings. Program the square properly (which is something the city hasn't been doing well) and you'd find greater usage of the walkways even in the current unfriendly state. The whole liability argument have no legs to stand on.

They should start having weekly movie screening and concerts for a start.

AoD

Last edited:
There is clearly a hunger in the city for these kinds of mass gatherings. Program the square properly (which is something the city hasn't been doing well) and you'd find greater usage of the walkways even in the current, usage unfriendly state. The whole liability argument have no legs to stand on.

They should start having weekly movie screening and concerts for a start.

AoD

I really want to see there be a push for this to happen. Earlier this year John Tory mentioned supporting the music industry in the city, so I think there's a reasonable chance we'd see support from the administration, if there were a push for this to happen at council.

Back