I've always hated the walkways. They cut off the square from the rest of the city, and give the place the feel of a modern castle, and not in a good way -- I alway expect to see black clad tactical snipers peering over the sides like a Bond villain's lair. The walls of the walkways keep them visually isolated, making them less than safe in a urban setting. Perhaps the reno will improve them, but I find them very off-putting.

it definitely has an Orwellian, 1984, Equilibrium, feel to it

I'll certainly grant that, but oddly enough, I find suggestions of dystopian totalitarianism in one's City Hall less than ideal... :)

This project has the potential to really redefine the city. And kudos for the design for keeping and working with the walkways.

The revisions to the elevated walkways has the potential to create something along the lines of the High Line linear park in NYC... And there's really something magical to be able to go up one storey and take a different perspective on a familiar space.

So while I'm not a fan of the walkways as they stand now, I think they hold great potential in the renovated space.

The nickel and diming coming from whining councillors can get a bit much sometimes. Yes, a million dollars for a bike facility that won't likely have to be touched afterwards for decades.

This space belongs to the public. To my mind, it should be welcoming and beautiful. I'm tired when I hear from people who travel to other countries and see beautiful public spaces, complain how there are so few here, and then grouse about public money being used to improve public spaces.

gristle:

Most of the cost isn't even about the reno per se - but maintainence cost incurred by repairing a degraded slab in the parking garage.

AoD

Good to see the project isn't cutting corners to accommodate these new items and is rightfully adding new money to cover them.

I haven't been down there lately. Any progress other than the demolished bunker?

MetroMan:

While nice, I didn't find the project to be particularly exquisite on the use of materials so far. Having visited the podium green roof, I have to say I am a bit underwhelmed by the quality of the materials - particularly the unit-paving and other details such as the concrete planter; or that the ramp itself remains oil-stained and otherwise left in a deteriorated condition.

AoD

I guess I'm more easily pleased. I was very happy with the overall feel and look of the podium roof.

I do agree with you that it's a shame they didn't upgrade the ramp to match the podium. I'd like to see metre long level steps paved in the same interlocking stones as the podium and a ramp running along side. As it is now, the ramp is way too steep. I find it an effort to climb and I'm pretty young and healthy.

The design of the square will be a massive improvement in aesthetics and usability but it does lack the kind of ambition that created New City Hall.

The nickel and diming coming from whining councillors can get a bit much sometimes. Yes, a million dollars for a bike facility that won't likely have to be touched afterwards for decades.

This space belongs to the public. To my mind, it should be welcoming and beautiful. I'm tired when I hear from people who travel to other countries and see beautiful public spaces, complain how there are so few here, and then grouse about public money being used to improve public spaces.

I think the argument can be made that with spending spinning completely out of control in tihs city that maybe now wasn't the time to spend this kind of money on this sort of project. At some point either we get spending under control and choose where money goes where it's needed on a more realistic priority or we go bankrupt. Some people actually think the city is already bankrupt but politicians won't tell the public this.

Re: city being bankrupt and politicians not telling us -- This isn't true. Anybody can read up on the city's finances, we don't have to wait for politicians to tell us anything. If the city were bankrupt, the news organizations would be all over it.

You don't stop the city cold in its tracks because its finances need to be looked at. Stopping investment in the city would lead to even worse problems.

I would argue that the revitalization of our main civic square comes at the best time. Torontonians need to rediscover a sense of pride in the city and putting a new face on a run down city hall is the absolute best place to start.

It was amazing to finally visit the rooftop garden the other day. The sounds of the city just fade away. Not quite as nice as the High Line in NYC because of the lack of water features, but still quite beautiful. And it shows off just how wonderful Viljo Revell's structures are as well.

From Saturday August 7th:

DSC00316.jpg

DSC00314.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

Back