I wonder if the day will come that City Hall gets a face lift?

Very happy though they made sure this project gets the money it needs. You can never make short cuts for the public realm. People will always complain about the money spent but will still enjoy the outcome.

I wonder if the day will come that City Hall gets a face lift?

It came after mega-amalgamation. KPMB was in charge. Among other things, those glass footbridges connecting the Council Chamber to the towers are theirs. That's about as "face lift" as you're going to get, without making the heritage buffs go white in the face...

adma:

Personally I am thinking more along the line of cleaning and a lick of paint for the roof of the rotunda.

kristopher:

While I wouldn't call them horrible, it could have been so much more delicate in design.

AoD

It came after mega-amalgamation. KPMB was in charge. Among other things, those glass footbridges connecting the Council Chamber to the towers are theirs. That's about as "face lift" as you're going to get, without making the heritage buffs go white in the face...

Sigh.. Heritage Planners.

I went up to visit the green roof yesterday evening and the gate was closed. I thought it would be open at all hours like Nathan Phillips Square, since it's not much more than an elevated park. It even has night lighting, which was on. Now I know that plenty of parks technically close at dusk but there's typically a sign that notifies the public of that fact. In this case however, it seemed arbitrary since there wasn't any notice of closure and the square had plenty of people.

yes, I am a bit unclear of the hours of operation too. I was there on a Monday around 630pm and was unsure if it was going to be open. Luckily for me it was open but it had the feel that things might close at any minute and I couldnt find the hours posted anywhere... so ya, maybe its just arbitrary which is guaranteed to frustrate people.

I also was curious if it was opened all night. I figure probably not, to prevent homeless people from going up there and sleeping on the benches.

Walked by today. The Peace Garden is fenced off and it looks like they are beginning to take it apart. Trees have been removed.

I think that is a bit regrettable... always thought the Peace Garden was one part of the square that seemed fine in its existing state.

Walked by today. The Peace Garden is fenced off and it looks like they are beginning to take it apart. Trees have been removed.

I noticed that yesterday but I thought that perhaps it was fenced off for the big United Way event in the Square.

They can't get this done fast enough! If anyone but Pantalone becomes Mayor, the NPS revitalization will almost certainly be left at the stage of renovation that it reaches by the time the new council sits.

I like the Peace Garden but it's not in the ideal location. It's not peaceful at all. It's surrounded by an acre of concrete on all sides. Its new home off to the West end of the square makes perfect sense and allows people to contemplate and meditate in relative quiet.

I'm most looking forward to the forecourt on Queen but from the looks of it, it's not planned for soon.

I think that is a bit regrettable... always thought the Peace Garden was one part of the square that seemed fine in its existing state.

It gets in the way whenever they have large events in the square. It blocks off the whole east side and after they build the new stage, it would be a big problem, so they had to move it.

I didn't know the Peace Garden was being removed for the renovation, but boy am I glad it is. It's so ridiculous and doesn't suit the square at all.

Back