I noticed that yesterday but I thought that perhaps it was fenced off for the big United Way event in the Square.

Yeah, I don't really know. I went back and took a couple shots with my phone from the ramp/podium.

PeaceGarden1.jpg

PeaceGarden2.jpg

I didn't know the Peace Garden was being removed for the renovation, but boy am I glad it is. It's so ridiculous and doesn't suit the square at all.

The relocating of the Peace Garden was one of the major things that got some people riled up when the plan was being discussed. I think that its new home on the western side will be far better as it was really in a very odd location and got in the way of other things happening in the square. Details of what's planned are at: http://www.toronto.ca/nps/revitalization/revitalized.htm

From the size of the fenced off site, it looks to be more complex than just removing the Peace Garden. Isn't this where the disappearing water fountains will go?

From the size of the fenced off site, it looks to be more complex than just removing the Peace Garden. Isn't this where the disappearing water fountains will go?

You might be right. The website says:

a seasonal “disappearing” water fountain feature in the centre of the Square, which will consist of nine fountain jets providing cooling and adding a playful element to the Square, while allowing the full range of activities to take place on the Square uninterrupted.

How many different kinds of fountains does the Square actually need? We've already got a wading pool full of them. What next - a faux Baroque statue of Neptune spearing fish with a trident with mermaids and porpoises squirting water out their bums maybe?

They can't get this done fast enough! If anyone but Pantalone becomes Mayor, the NPS revitalization will almost certainly be left at the stage of renovation that it reaches by the time the new council sits.

The square, at least the west side of it, is such a huge mess now that there's just no way they can leave it as is.

^ I know. I said it would be left at the stage of renovation that it currently is, meaning they'll finish whatever work is being done but further phases wouldn't be approved.

According to the city website, they're in the first phase which simply involves removing and rebuilding the skate rental rebuilding and washrooms -- although they're behind: the new building was supposed to be open for this winter.

The stage, the water fountains, the bicycle rental, the the walkways and most importantly, the Queen St. forecourt are all needed additions that could not see the light of day if the next council doesn't see the importance of civic pride and public spaces.

How many different kinds of fountains does the Square actually need? We've already got a wading pool full of them. What next - a faux Baroque statue of Neptune spearing fish with a trident with mermaids and porpoises squirting water out their bums maybe?

Or Rob Ford as Manneken-Pis

The relocating of the Peace Garden was one of the major things that got some people riled up when the plan was being discussed. I think that its new home on the western side will be far better as it was really in a very odd location and got in the way of other things happening in the square. Details of what's planned are at: http://www.toronto.ca/nps/revitalization/revitalized.htm

Well thats exactly it. It took the square away from the square.

If they're already stripping the Peace Garden, then it sounds like they've started on Phase Two of the plan, which is designed to overlap with Phase One. I'm hoping it also means that we may see some more significant elements of the renewal started before the election at the end of next month.

For more info on the phases, see notes and link below:

* In Phase 1 (tentatively April 2010 to November 2010), the existing skate concession building will be demolished and replaced with a new skate pavilion, for opening by the end of November 2010.

* Phase 2 (tentatively June 2010 to September 2011) will include:
o constructing the new theatre stage;
o installing new plantings and other features for the relocated Peace Garden;
o landscaping the western area of NPS;
o creating the new access lane at the northwest corner of the site and modifying Osgoode Lane for pedestrian use only;
o upgrading the western section of the overhead walkways;
o replacing the existing children’s playground equipment; and
o implementing the realigned underground PATH pedestrian walkway.

* Phase 3 (tentatively September 2010 to Mid-2012) will include:
o constructing the new underground bicycle parking facility;
o constructing the new NPS restaurant;
o constructing the new Visitor Information Kiosk;
o landscaping the Queen Street forecourt and Bay Street and Hagerman Street frontages;
o installing the new water fountain feature on NPS; and
o upgrading the southern and eastern sections of the overhead walkways.

http://www.toronto.ca/nps/revitalization/phases.htm

Last edited:
hmm, are they not replacing the tile flooring throughout the square (i.e. the square tiles) ?

Sorry, to *actually* you by, actually, there's signs posted all around the fountain saying not to wade into it. I think it's just too damn tempting in 30+ degree weather.

Back