There's a large LED Sign in the front of Union Station now that people can climb on and take selfies with?

Yes, the new metal signage is nice. That's not what I was meaning at all. But thanks though for dismissing my idea saying that we already have it.

This sign's popularity is stunning.

So's Kanye West's.
Still doesn't make him any less stunningly untalented.

So...a big sign that says TORONTO is the branding idea for Toronto????? Hardly a coincidence that the same group who dreamt up that genius branding scheme is the same one who decided to hire Kanye West as the big talent for the closing ceremonies?

Like the rest of the city's Pan Am games planning....phoned it in.

So's Kanye West's.
Still doesn't make him any less stunningly untalented.

So...a big sign that says TORONTO is the branding idea for Toronto????? Hardly a coincidence that the same group who dreamt up that genius branding scheme is the same one who decided to hire Kanye West as the big talent for the closing ceremonies?

Like the rest of the city's Pan Am games planning....phoned it in.

I feel like the choice of Kanye West (not really a fan) was for mass appeal, as opposed to refined tastes. I'm sure there are plenty of us that aren't a fan of his music or his arrogance, but the man sells records and tickets. There are hundreds of acts I would prefer to see, but I doubt any of they could fill a stadium.

The fact that they landed someone with global recognition doesn't seem phoned in to me, and I am not sure anyone said that this sign was designed with the intention of creating a branding image for Toronto (correct me if I'm wrong on that last part).

I feel like the choice of Kanye West (not really a fan) was for mass appeal, as opposed to refined tastes.

Popularity and talent are not mutually exclusive. There was a time when that was the rule, rather than the exception. I cannot relate to the level of a mind that finds something like a Kanye West even remotely entertaining. The fact that he represents what constitutes the biggest superstars in the world is an appalling commentary on how low we have sunk.

IMG_7952 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7952 copy.jpg
    IMG_7952 copy.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_7951 copy.jpg
    IMG_7951 copy.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 153
Have you ever listened to Drake's music, or do you just enjoy making a fool of yourself?

Actually, he may not be far off. I was at a nightclub several years ago where Drake was advertised as the guest host. I walked in and the crowd was far from the typical kids going out to party on a weekend. There was a haze of weed in the air and at one point, 2 men pulled guns on each other. Staff was rushed to the basement where we stayed until 4 am, emerging to an elite police squad patting us down while we stared down the barrels of shotguns, then walked out to a shut down King Street with police tanks patrolling the area. Yes this sound outrageous but it happened. Drake has gotten more mainstream lately but that night he attracted a club full of thugs. That said, I'm sure that the SkyDome wouldn't be full of thugs. It's high security and they wouldn't be drawn into that kind of atmosphere.

No need to be so touchy.
Of course there is a need to be touchy and defensive when grumpy old men try and take away (i.e. steal) from the opinions and ideas of young professionals. I don't let them get away with it at work, so why on earth would I let someone on here get away with it? I think a better post would be, why would someone write "no need to be so touchy" as if they are the calm voice of reason? Gimme a break Dad lol! Oh, wait, I already have a Dad thank you very much. Now back to dumb discussion of Drake vs. Kayne...

We're getting way off topic guys. Perhaps, let's take this Kanye/Drake discussion to the PanAm thread.

What we should be discussing on this thread is the fate of the remaining improvements to Nathan Phillips Square. There's another wave of construction coming up but what is being talked about seems very minor: The final street furniture will be installed throughout the square after the PanAm Games, mainly around the reflecting pool and along the water jets.

What's not clear is the fate of the improvements to the walkways. They were always a major element of the revitalization but they have not been touched at all. Deck flooring is supposed to be installed, cuts along some of the walls, replaced by fritted glass, and larger openings on the stairways were originally planned. I've seen no references to a timeline for this. All I have heard regarding the walkways is about ongoing discussions with The Sheraton about what to do with their connecting walkway.

Now that the Peace Garden is complete, the attention turns to the area that the PanAm Games store will vacate. Negotiations for a restaurant are on the docket for the location. As for the Peace Garden itself, it'll become a great place for Christmas decorations later this year, a little winter wonderland behind the square.

Finally, extensive work was intended for the Bay Street side of the square. So far, nothing has been done and it's a still remnant of the disfunctional elements that were added over time. Bay Street should made to feel like less of a highway. Removing the railing there and installing a real sidewalk lined by trees should be a priority. Doing the same on the east side of Bay along Old City Hall would complete this remedy.

I'll try to get some answers on this but if anyone has any, please share.

Popularity and talent are not mutually exclusive. There was a time when that was the rule, rather than the exception. I cannot relate to the level of a mind that finds something like a Kanye West even remotely entertaining. The fact that he represents what constitutes the biggest superstars in the world is an appalling commentary on how low we have sunk.

I thoroughly agree. Music ain't no product. Real artists are completely devalued in today's shallow, lazy culture. All contemporary mainstream music is forcefed rubbish that is overly produced to disguise how horribly untalented most artists are. The industry and its main audience seem to think that music is some sort of competition to see who can sell the most records, win the most Grammies and have hit singles. It's F'n ridiculous.

Back